Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What to do with a good coin

del

When I find the coin of the century, what do I do to clean and preserve it without destroying its value? del

Anyone out there that can help a greenhorn out? What do I do with a coin I find, cleaning etc. del

you might want to do a Google Search for the answer or check with a coin shop and see what it would cost to have the coin cleaned by a professional. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Thanks for the post. Where in Texas are you? I'm extreme North in Iowa Park near Wichita Falls. Anyone else out there in my area? del.

This is a very simple "set-up" that I made to use in cleaning extremely dirty coins. I bought the parts at Radio Shack.
[attachment 19876 electrolysiskit1_2.jpg]

The red clip is positive and the black is negative. Fill a glass of water, put in a tea spoon of baking soda, a drop of lemon juice and mix well. Place a stainless steel spoon in the water and connect the red clip to it, then connect the black clip to the dirty coin and lower it into the water. You will see bubbles coming from the dirty coin. After a few minutes, remove the coin from the water, rinse it in clean water and then polish it with baking soda.

Note: again, do not use this method on a valuable coin or other object. Do not keep the coin or object in the water longer than necessary to clean it.

Hope this helps you to clean a few extremely dirty coin. Please have a great day. Kelley (Texas) :)

http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_cleaning.htm

Here is a great link to a home electrolosys machine. IT works GREAT!!

It depends on the condition of the coin. If the coin is in remarkable shape and is just dirty, I take mine and put them in a simmer pot(Porcelain Incence bowl that has a spot for a candle in the bottom) and put some peroxide in the bowl of it. Then I take a small candle and put this in the bottom and light it. Now if there is just dirt on it,leave in the peroxide for about 3-5 minutes and take out and rinse. You do not want to leave it in there too long due to it will pit it. Also, DO NOT put SILVER in peroxide. It will give it a dull look and I don't think you can fix this if done. If it is silver, I would send it in to get professionally cleaned. Hope this helps.

EZ E, umm, has anyone been sent to the morgue for doing this? Looks tricky. It looks like it works great, but why do this to any coin if it ruins its value? What do pros do to a valuable coin to keep from destroying it? del.

Kelley...anywhere near the AF base by the same name? I'm ex AF, discharge after nearly 15 years service due to limited use of my legs from an auto accident. It happens, I'm alive, and ready to hunt! del.

The worst thing that can happen is if the spoon touches the coin it will short out, and maybe pop a circuit breaker. I use it all the time. Also makke sure the AC adapter does not get too hot. CHeck it every 7 or 8 minutes.

Great to know. Thanks for the tips. I'll mark this post that way I can refer to it when I actually find something. del

Hey Neighbor, I'm a newbie as well and I,m out at Lake Arrowhead.
Haven't started yet, waiting for my detect to arrive.

Wayne

n/t

Glad to know you Wayne. I'm moving in May to Tennessee but would love to hunt a day or two with you. Send me a PM and we'll coordinate schedules. del.