Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What to look for when buying used Explorer 2

Minas man

Just wondering what to look for when checking out a used Explorer II it does not have the rechargeable battery pack, but has stock coil. They are asking $500 .
The main reason for considering an explorer is to be able to hunt on re-claimed salt marsh land so looking for a detector that can handle salted soil.
Thanks for any thoughts
Minas man

Main thing to look for is wear. Check and see if all the stickers are still on it. After a lil use the stickers will come off and if they are still there then it hasn been used much. Make sure the screen is in good shape. look at the coil and make sure it has a cover and if not make sure its not scratched all up. I bought a mint Explorer XS for $450 and it didnt have a scratch or wear anywhere. It was a brand new used machine.

Those are helpful things to look for thanks whitesblueandgray sounds like you got a amazing deal on your detector. I call that a closet find. Bought tried once or twice and then put into a closet till it is brought out to sell. Well done scooping that one up!

Minas man

1. Even though in this model the cracking of the lower clasp/lever on the head unit for the upper rod was addressed I would still take a look at this area just to make sure.
2. Also, even though you might not plan to use it I would see that the back-light works. You might decide to sell it later and the next prospective owner might want that feature.
3. Does it have the 8 AA pack (not the rechargeable) or even the charger? If not you can purchase the RNB battery from a sponsor here (check out Mike Moutrays review of it) but, that will cost additional funds.
4. I also would just check functionality of the unit.

Other then that sounds like a good deal.

I would say you already stated it did not come with the rechargeable battery pack....I would definitely contact RNB Batteries and pick one up. Check out Bryce Brown's review. He did some extensive testing of it and documented different stages of use.
RNB Innovations ML-2900 Lithium-Ion Explorer/E-Trac Battery
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1805198,1805198#msg-1805198

Also make sure there is no depth lost over targets when the backlight is on. I have owned and used several explorer 2's and a couple of them truly seemed to lose some depth sensitivity with it on. Seems strange but I know Bryce experienced the same thing on one of his too.
On a side note...that stock coil is very smooth...great coil.

Thank you Explorer forum members for all your wisdom it is mush appreciated. Have been reading the manual and wow there is a lot to take in. I have never even seen a minelab explorer in the flesh so now I can at least turn it on. From what I have read in the manual it is very exciting to be able to make a program for a specific hunting task.
The Explorer that I am considering is located in this large ice and snow storm in the north east as am I so I have not been able to make contact as every thing is ground to a halt do to no power and road conditions.