Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

what to use to stabilize the coil in water

melbajoe

I find that my gt coil (10" tornado) has loosened up to the point that it can flip and flop somewhat in the water. I was wondering what people use to hold the coil in position when hunting in the water? thanks

Either new rubber spacers or as I do take the rubber spacer out and put a couple or so layers of duct tape behind them. I dont like paying the outrageous price of new ones.

I've seen plastic wedge shaped pieces for sale that will hold a coil at a given angle. Shouldn't be too hard to cut a similar piece of plastic as a inexpensive. free fix.

Some design their own coil stablizer..... but to me that just makes it harder to swing out there. Another choice besides the washers ....yet pricy.... is an Anderson lower shaft. They are made of a harder product. I know some people using them and they havent had to change the rubbers and without the wear on the lower head your coil dont get loose. there is a good NEW product called Bondic that might be something to look at for repairing those worn coil ears. Our problem is when we tighten the bolt there isnt any rubber and it starts wearing IMMEDIATELY that soft lower rod head. If you keep cranking the bolt you can...... and i have....separated the bottom of the coil. I run mine loose..... thats just me.... but IMO your best bet if you want it tight without damage to the coil down the like..... get an Anderson lower rod.

Dew

Just rubber washers for me. I like it to be tight enough to not get flipped by the water movement, but not so tight that I can't change the coil tilt with a light push of my foot.

Dew posted a couple days ago on how to do washers for a reasonable price; check out this post: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,2152842,2152842#msg-2152842

Whites sells a kit for about $6.95..Just go on their site and you'll find them.I use the stabilizer and it works great..

I stopped in at a local Ace hardware store and bought some paper thin Mylar washers at 20 cents each, they are the same diameter as the rubber tear drop shaped ones, I installed them in the lower rod first after tuning the rubber ones over and reinstalling them. I'll probably stack a few together as the rubber ones wear out...works for me. :biggrin: