Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What type of gold is this?

Smigo

Hi, new here. Found this gold the other week and was wondering if it was crystalline? I reckon it is but am not 100% sure. If not then what type is it please. Asked on another forum but got no response! The total for the 3 bits is 3.5 gram and the picture of it is taken on an old English shilling. Was found in central victoria Australia. Cheers.

Looks to me like normal gold that was formed inside of rock and has now been released. The shaped was dictated more by the shape of the surrounding rock. For instance, gold inside a quartz specimen takes on a certain appearance forming up against surrounding quartz crystals. This gives the gold itself a pseudo crystalline appearance. I think you are looking at something like that here. Actually pretty common where gold has rotted out of rock but been subject to little subsequent abrasion.

Thanks Steve. Yep came out of rock. Looks good though, shame it isnt real crystalline stuff. You guys must have a bit of this gear over there huh! Iv never come across much of this myself here, been swinging for 20 odd years now only found it on one goldfield here in Vic.
Have a good one mate.

Congrats, nice find. Believe it or not, you can melt it with a regular propane torch from the hardware store. into a solid blob. looks like 23kt, just get some borax to sprinkle on it when melting, it will keep the oxidation of and then put it in some boric acid with water to clean off the borax. I am a jeweler and do that all the time but with oxygen too, does it more efficiently. Some people like the nuggets, but the refiners do not care, gold is money!!! Like going to the bank with 4 nickels and getting 19 cents back. LOL
What state did you find them in? I am in NJ and know that will never happen here!!!