Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What was I thinking? AT GOLD

MikeLab

Don't laugh too hard, please. I was practicing in my yard this morning on my gold ring. Again I had trouble getting a clean signal in Disc 1 mode. The ring was on edge so I laid it flat and this helped a lot but I still wasn't satisfied why I couldn't get a good signal with the ring on edge. Since my yard is all sand under the lawn and tons of scrap junk everywhere I had to walk half way across the yard to find a quiet place to ground balance. Then it hit me--I had the iron discrimination turned up all the way and the light went on in my head that I was NOT in a clean place. The iron discrimination was hiding all the scrap iron underneath the coil. Of course the answer is the best ground balance is going to be in ALL Metal mode or at least with zero iron discrimination (in Disc 1) so I can hear if I am on a clean spot or not. I went back and looked at the manual. I could not find anything on this. Maybe it's in the training videos, but I don't recall and have not checked them.

Now back to the gold ring. Actually I have two gold rings that are fit together. One is a 24K band that fits around a 22K man's ring. As soon as I separated the two rings I had no problem getting a clean tone on each one. And besides, when I was in Disc 2 the 22K ring does not give a good signal anyway as it is near (or in) the discriminated zone).

I forgot to mention, when in All Metal mode the two rings together had no problems giving a nice clean tone.

Sorry for my rambling here, but I think what was happening is the discriminator was seeing the two rings as two different targets. The 24K gives a high tone and the 22K gives a medium tone. I don't think this will happen much in real conditions, but the All Metal is a solution if it happens to you.

long time viewer, first post.
Mikelab,
I also have an at gold. Been through about 4 battery changes. Love the machine, although I sent it back when it quit. I have it back and it works good.
I have 4-5 gold bands found over the yeas, but havn't tested them in a test garden.
I have not heard of 24k rings. It must be very soft.

Yes, from Asia the 24K is soft, but not quite as soft as lead. The 22K is alloyed with silver and is harder and more durable.