Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What we really need are some video tutorials on Modding,such as Sens Dials, GB, 3 way Switch Installations ect.

:Left4Dead

I was thinking of putting a sens adjust on my compadre soon, and was thinking why are their no videos on this topic. I have seen a few photos, and diagrams, but nothing is a good as a video. If anyone has some let me know. I too may make one. I had the compadre out the other day as well as the cibola, the compadre started to chatter in a certain area, so I had to bring over the cibola to check it. If I had a sens control on the panel I could have just bumped it down.

Also I wonder how people are making the cool panel stickers that I have seen, with the Super Compadre or just adding a sens adjust. I would guess photo shop or the like, but It would be great to get it printed on a water proof sticker design.

We were looking for someones lost ring. So it was on the surface. Also since its only around 160.00 to buy another one, modding it is ok with me.

Mike

n/t

:Left4Dead said:
I was thinking of putting a sens adjust on my compadre soon, and was thinking why are their no videos on this topic. I have seen a few photos, and diagrams, but nothing is a good as a video. If anyone has some let me know. I too may make one.
While I am sure there might be some videos out there, and I might even consider some to be from a good source who really knows what they are doing, but .... here are my concerns.:

Factory Provided Features: I use an excellent detector from White's. It started out as a very good model, an IDX Pro from the Classic series, but is now 'excellent' because it has the modifications down by 'Mr. Bell' Crabtree. I have only handled one other that was modified by someone else, but ti was a professionally performed job.

These modifications add an external Threshold control and external 1-turn Ground Balance control. What makes these modifications important to have? the fact that you can't buy a factory-produced Classic series with these features. White's only made the Classic series in a 'turn-on-and-go' design with a preset Threshold and preset Ground Balance.

Now, to what Tesoro has and does offer: The Bandido and Bandido II provided manually ground balanced and tuned operation. For the average hobbyists who didn't want or need it (at least as they thought about it), they could buy a similar turn-on-and-go Silver Sabre II. Today you can find a good used Bandido or Bandido II or an unmodified Silver Sabre II. No need to tinker with a Silver Sabre II if you could buy the "real thing" in the Bandido mode.

Tesoro produced the manually Ground Balanced Pantera, but while some sold, there was a greater demand for simple start-up operation so they used the Pantera circuit board and brought out the Golden Sabre II. A more 'friendly' turn-on-and-go model.

Then there was the Bandido II

Monte,

Thanks for the always informative posts. You are a great asset to our boards for sure!! I was planing on doing the simple sens mod that's it for now. The sticker would re-label the face of the control panel where the Sens pot would go. I am a picky about how my stuff looks, I make it as professional as possible. Their has been some very nice mods posted on other forums as well as this one. This post maybe should go to the mods sections?
Mike

-- moved topic --

Monte,

Boy do I agree.

There are so many people who read/or see something being done & think this makes them an expert.:blink:

They don't have the right equipment & the knowledge, but they will give it a whirl. It doe's make buying used MDers problematic.

What type of solder did they use ? Did they apply to much heat & fry something else ? Do they even know how to solder ? Did they connect up the component properly ?
Did they ground themselves properly ? If not did it destroy a transistor or IC ? I've seen trimmers that somebodys adjusted distroyed (thats why I can't blame Tesoro on there policy).

I've worked on electronics as a hobby since HS (70s). If I opened up a piece of electronic equipment & buggered it up I would'nt have the gall to try and sell it to some someone as a good operating machine. I'd sell it listed for parts & non functioning. Or throw it out as scrap (lessoned learned).

HaRM

Guys I respect your thoughts, but understand it not illegal for me or anyone to mod their metal detector. The fact is people do it, and love to do it. I was thinking of making a modding video or womdering if anyone knew of any out their. I have plenty of electronics background. I am not worried about resale of a 160.00 metal detector, I just want to have a small bit of adjustment on the sens.

Honestly no disrespect intended.

Mike

Guys I respect your thoughts, but understand it not illegal for me or anyone to mod their metal detector. The fact is people do it, and love to do it. I was thinking of making a modding video or womdering if anyone knew of any out their. I have plenty of electronics background. I am not worried about resale of a 160.00 metal detector, I just want to have a small bit of adjustment on the sens.

Honestly no disrespect intended.

Mike

Mike,

None taken. + I'm sure you have a great electronics background, but showing unqualified people how to do something isn't always wise, was my point.

If a person can't figure out how to make a modification with a picture or schematic & a written description, there in over their head.

Posting a video on how a armchair quarterback ( = newly appointed electronic expert because he watched a video) can mod a detector, is irresponsible in my opinion. (Armchair quarterback = Expert at everything they watch)

I to was looking into doing a MDer mod but just decided to get MDer with the fetchers I wanted instead, but I understand that not everybody can do that.

HaRM

[pre]

[/pre]
I was thinking of putting a sens adjust on my compadre soon, and was thinking why are their no videos on this topic. I have seen a few photos, and diagrams, but nothing is a good as a video. If anyone has some let me know. I too may make one. I had the compadre out the other day as well as the cibola, the compadre started to chatter in a certain area, so I had to bring over the cibola to check it. If I had a sens control on the panel I could have just bumped it down.

Also I wonder how people are making the cool panel stickers that I have seen, with the Super Compadre or just adding a sens adjust. I would guess photo shop or the like, but It would be great to get it printed on a water proof sticker design.

We were looking for someones lost ring. So it was on the surface. Also since its only around 160.00 to buy another one, modding it is ok with me.

Mike

please make one as i want to mod a compadre that i just purchased, my wife would kill me if i spend more money on a better machine. i think the compadre is as good as all the others anyway if you search in all metal, i want to add my clean sweep coil to it.

thanks leftfordead

happy troll man

or a do not modify forum? If it is a modification forum, I too would like to see more photos and videos showing modifications (to learn what to do and not to do) and not just on Tesoro products. Aren't there other forums more appropriate for views and opinions such as why modifications should not be made and/or marketed?

I'm new to the finds's treasure forums and come here to learn what to do, not what someone wants me to not do [huh?]. I apologize in advance for I am probably offending some of the "experts" and I am only a "hobbyist".

and turn out well if you prepare ahead of time and get all the info you can muster up.
The most basic one is adding manual ground balance by replacing the internal trim pot with an external potentiometer.
Another is adding a 2nd disc pot like the Tejon.
Many detectors are ripe for mod'ding. Minelab Sovereigns, Musketeers, White's Classics...., Teknetics older models, Tesoros,
just to name a few.

To mod or not to mod is the question, why do it? Because you can, you want a special one of a kind detector, it will enhance performance,
ego trip, show off.......................and so forth. If you have the time, money, patience and some electronic know how and don't mind screwing up
a detector, try a mod.

Why have all the young guys in the 60, 70's mod their cars into fast machines? Why do van, car, motorcycle owners customize their vehicles?
A lot of detector owners have wants too.....................................

Many mod'ers won't reveal the how to's tricks and gizmos. Especially if they are in the business of making mods for profit, so some hop-ups
you'll have to pay for.

A new threads needs to be started, let's say one thread per detector model and everyone add to it. And see where it goes from there.
You can find mods on google by searching the detector and add the word mods, modifications.

Be warned some mods distract from a detectors value and might be very hard to sell. Example Explorer on the bay, painted control box and coil fire engine red.