Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What would be the best beginner detector for clay soil?

Wannabeabago

Hello,
Just starting out and not sure what detector to buy. Been tossing up between the equinox models 800 and 600 or the 540 or 440’s of the same brand.

Thats a good question. I personally like my 800. You will get as many different answers as there are opinions. Multi frequency is the way to go in my opinion.
HH Jeff

I think either of the models you mentioned will work for you.
I have an Equinox 800 and I have not found any soil that I think it has trouble dealing with.
I think you will do fine with the Vanquish or Equinox.

Almost all clay soil here as well and hard packed. I'm using the Nox 600 with good results for copper and silver coins. If you can afford one or the other (Nox 600 or 800), download Minelab's user manual to know the differences between both machines and figure out if you need the added features of the 800. Looking back, I might have chosen the 800 myself. I can't use the 40 kHz freq on the 600 which means that my 600 is not suited to find our evil steel Canadian clad. The 800 can do it with ease by using the 40 kHz single frequency option. That's not a problem in the US where your modern coins are not as cheaply made but just be aware that the 800 can be a higher performance machine for you by way of greater customization options.