Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What would you do?.... :help:

digmeahole

I just found an old site in my town and I had to get permission from the current land owner to get to the site as his land now surrounds it. I got the permission to pass through his property and as an extra, he asked if I wanted to also search his property....

I got the impression that he wanted half of whatever I found if found on his property. I guess thats reasonable but i would like your opinions before i take him up on the offer. Lets just say its a large chunk of land thats been inhabited for at least 150 years and according to the current owner has never been detected. What would you do....or say? Have you ever had this type of agreement with a land owner?

Thanks for the help!

I would happily give them half for the opportunity
You could make some good contacts for future property's

T59

On more than one occassion, I've actually turned over all the coins that I've found on a piece of property. I call that creating Karma.

When I am asked if I will split my finds, I tell them that I spent a lot of money on my detector so it should find lots of stuff. I also tell them that if I find a pot of gold, I will split it with them as long as I get the first one. In addition, I'll haul off the nails, washers, shotgun shell casings, rifle casings, pop cans and any other stuff I find. I keep a bucket in the back of my truck where I put all the junk and I make an effort to show it to them. Once they see the amount of "crap" that can come from an old site, they usually laugh and tell me that I can keep what I find. Worst case scenerio, if I do happen to find one gold coin, it is mine! If I find two, I'll honor the agreement and we'll both be tickled. In the meantime, I'm hauling off all the nails, washers, shotgun shell casings, rifle shell casings, pop cans and all the other "stuff" that I found. That other "stuff" can include some pretty nice coins that aren't gold! But since they weren't part of the "split" agreement, I don't feel compelled to show them everything after the hunt.

In your situation, I'd tell him that you appreciate his allowing you to cross his property to access the first site and that you would like to detect his property after you have completed your initial quest. When you are ready to hunt his property, be aware that getting the "impression" that he wants half is different from entering into an agreement to split the finds. Don't just get an impression. Flat out ask him what he expects. If the land has been in his family for generations, ask him if he knows of anything that they may have lost over the years. Offer to give him any jewelry you find that he thinks may have been his ancestors. Other than that, you'll keep the rest. If he insists on getting half of everything you find, know up-front that half of everything includes those nails, washers, shotgun shell casings, rifle casings, pop cans and yes, even the coins. You might counter offer to give him half of everything you find except coins. And just in case you happen to find an old penny, you would be willing to give him "face value" for it. In other words, don't embellish what it is you expect to find. Personally, if he insists on getting half of everything, I'd draw up an informal contract spelling out what it is he has asked. But again, make sure the contract indicates that if you find just one of any denomination, it is yours. Splitting one quarter down the middle can be a very trying task! When it comes right down to signing it, I doubt he is really that interested in making you split the finds. Especially after you've shown him that bucket of junk in your truck! If he were really interested in finding old coins in a field, he would have already bought his own detector and you wouldn't be hunting those sites. JMHO HH Randy

I think that you have to get a feel for that situation, sometimes it makes sense to just walk away. I had a similar experience where an owner gave me permission but having known this guy for a few years, I understood his quirks. A lot of time went by and I renewed my request which was met by some strange reactions. I know that he had someone else hunt his property before, but now he said that he didn't want me to hunt the yard, what he wanted was for me to work with him. He wanted to go down into a shallow well with a bucket and haul bucket loads of material up from the bottom. Once on the surface, he wanted me to detect the material to see what turns up. The site is an old log home from the late 1700's, but at that point I felt that I should just bow out. The subject of ownership of the finds was becoming more and more gray, sure I would have been fair, I just don't think that it would have been a good outcome knowing the owner. It doesn't sound like you are at that point with this owner, I would just be cautious.

Even though the site has been hunted before, not everyone has made an investment in a good detector. I usually get my best finds after someone else had deemed it "hunted out".

Thank you guys. I really appreciate all the advice....... I will post any good finds, if i do go. :cheers: