Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whats the deal with the variable Sat speed control?

EZ2Find

I have a Beachscanner MkII and it has tthe variable SAT speed control. Whats the most effective use of that?
the manual does not really address its usage?? Could someone out there please explain? Thanks

Hi,
As far as I can understand the control effectively changes the resistance of a single pole high pass filter, which in effect causes the frequency response of the filter to change.

So as the ground signal is a relatively low frequency signal, it can be reduced by increasing the Self Adjusting Threshold, this allows the higher frequency signals to pass through but attenuates more low frequency signals. It is good for reducing ground noises at the beach which get worse as you reduce the reject for those thin section rings.

On the Goldquest I find that a quarter turn from minimum works best for me. You will notice a loss of sensitivity the more SAT you use, and you will observe that when you place the coil down on the ground it will tune out any objects much faster, this is the threshold self adjusting, or in effect the charge on the filter capacitor gained from coil movement draining away.

You really need to experiment at the sites where you will be using the unit, since not all sites are equal. I've waffled on too much, and not really answered your question, but I know others are much more familiar with the Beachscan so they will be able to give you better info.

Do a search of this forum for SAT, self adjusting thershold etc., I know there are some good posts from users in the past.

Cheers
Kev.