Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's the difference between an Explorer and a Safari?

jimmyzr1

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE USED BOTH DETECTORS, what's the difference between the Explorer and the Safari? Does the Safari get the depth of the Explorer? Other than the ferrous numbers, is there much difference in the sounds or other?

Biggest difference as I understand it (and I have NOT used a Safari), is that the Safari -- with just one "ID" number, not the CO/FE number pairs that the Explorers offer, is the biggest difference. And as a result of that, there is no "smartfind" screen, no "2-D" discrimination capability. Otherwise, I think they are very similar with respect to depth, etc. Sounds, I'm not sure -- someone else would have to answer that one...

Steve

I tried out a friend’s Safari last summer. Like Steve said .. it only offers the target ID number, but I was impressed with the depth it was getting in my neck of the woods.

Jimmy,I have NOT used the Safari (sorry) but have some good hours on the Explorer2. Depending on what you’re coming from,I will say you’ll do great with ANY FBS machine. Their pedigree is deep coin hunting and I believe they’ll serve you well. There’s more info offered on the Explorers like Steve mentioned. But they will both “get you there”.:)

Thanks for the replies. This is not for me, but for a friend. He is thinking of buying a used minelab. I myself, use an Etrac, which has found me 24 silver coins here in Sacramento this past month.

Used is a good idea to see if you like the machine. Hopefully it is reasonably priced.
If he gets it tell him to bench test targets to assist in the learning curve.

Not trying to push a sale but if he gets one, I would recommend picking up a copy of The Minelab Quatrain & Safari handbook which will get him going faster than trying to wing it so to speak. It was revised earlier this year and covers all types of hunting along with specific settings to get the most out of it.

The Safari is a real sleeper in the Minelab line as it has high end performance but often gets overlooked when looking at FBS detectors.

Andy Sabisch

It almost feels like I’m mixing prophecy with detecting sometimes...:lol: