Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's the difference between Gold Bug and Gold Bug Pro?

Badger in NH

Besides price, what's the difference between the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro?

I assume the Pro and DP are the same machine with different coils.

The Fisher site doesn't exactly tell you and it's a little confusing.

It is VERY confusing...

There is the original Gold Bug, from many years ago...not at all similar in appearance to today's "Gold Bugs." Then, there was the Gold Bug 2...this is a gold prospecting machine, running at super-high frequency, and again, bears no outward resemblance at all to today's "Gold Bugs."

Then, a few years back they released the Gold Bug Pro. There are several early versions floating around, some with minor differences to today's units. One older unit that is fairly common is the "2.9" version of the unit (software), which is different in some small ways to the current Gold Bug Pro. There have been software updates since the "2.9" version, my version is "4" and there may be a "5" out, as well. Anyway, the Gold Bug DP is another of these units, and is EXACTLY the same as the Gold Bug Pro, except that it comes stock with the 11" coil, vs. the 5". Then, there's the G2...it comes, like the Gold Bug DP, with the 11" coil as its stock coil. The only difference between the G2, and the Gold Bug Pro/DP, is the rod configuration. Software-wise (and thus performance-wise), they are the same. Then, finally there's the current edition of "Gold Bug," which is sold, for instance, in at least one of the big national sporting goods stores. This unit is VERY similar to the Gold Bug Pro; in fact, I'd be willing to bet that it is nearly identical, but simply costs less so as to be more competitive, price-wise. I have not used one of those units, so I cannot say what, if any, minor differences there would be between it, and the Gold Bug Pro, but I suspect there are a probably a few very minor ones. Someone else here may know, but otherwise, I hope the info I have given helps you out some.

Steve

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was talking specifically about the newer style Gold Bugs. If you go to the Fisher site, they have three of these.The GB, GBP AND GBDP. The only other Gold Bug currently available is the GB2 which we will ignore.

If the GBP and GBDP are the same, that leaves really just two models of the newer style.

I want to know the difference between the GB and the GBP currently in production. They have a retail price difference of $150. If they are exactly the same we should all be saying, don't buy the Pro, it's a waste of money.

Actually there is a difference. There are several cases I have seen where people on a well known (infamous) auction site are selling the GB yet calling it a GBP. There are only a few real differences but the GBP is a better unit. The front decal is different (no big deal). The feature difference is VCO in hunt mode as well as pinpoint for GBP but NOT GB. Bart Davis told me the GBP is dual processor, the GB is single. I can find no validation for this, but as a dealer and a VERY knowledgeable guy, I put a lot of trust in his word.
While we are at this, some believe the 2.9 software version of the GB was hotter than the others and it has a reputation like the 1021 serial CZ3Ds for being 'keepers'. It has been over a year since I thought about this, so you might want to double check before going to the bank and/or making a major life decision.
Merry Christmas!
Tom

pasttom --

I too have heard that the 2.9 version may be a bit "hotter" on low conductors, but is NOT as hot on silver/high conductors, so it all depends on what you wish to hunt, as I've understood it. If you are a relic hunter, you may like the 2.9 version, if you can find one, but if you hunt coins, it seems that the consensus is that the newer versions are hotter.

As for the VCO in hunt mode and pinpoint mode...are you saying that there is no "variance" in the audio on the Gold Bug? Just a "monotone" type of tone? If that's the case, then this would be a SUBSTANTIAL reason to go for the Pro. The "variance" in the Pro's audio -- quieter sound on a smaller/deeper target, offers ALOT in terms of "intelligence" to the user. You can really glean alot of information from the VCO (i.e. variable) audio...lots of clues and information in there once you get used to the unit. You would lose alot, in terms of figuring out what you are dealing with under your coil before digging, if the non-Pro Gold Bug does not have VCO audio, but instead just a single "monotone" tone for all targets -- small, big, shallow, deep...

If I'm understanding this correctly -- i.e. no VCO audio on the Gold Bug, then my opinion is the Pro is a much better unit. Without VCO audio, I'd take my $499 and buy a used Pro (or G2) before I'd buy a new non-Pro Gold Bug.

OK -- I just checked it out...on Fisher's web page, it says the Pro has VCO audio in all metal AND discriminate mode, but the non-Pro has VCO only in all-metals mode. I think I'd opt for the Pro, but the non-Pro is still a nice unit, from what I can tell...

Steve

You definitely want the VCO in the discriminate mode. I would have missed this Saint Christopher if I didn't have the modulated audio response telling me it was a deep target. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?80,1609366. I've found lots of deep old coins just digging faint high tone signals.

There are some out there selling what they call the Gold Bug Pro, but it's really the cheaper Gold Bug. This is not by accident either. I sent a message to a seller just recently on feebay telling them that what was pictured was not a Gold Bug Pro. I got no response and it ended up selling to the highest bidder a few days later for $425 shipped. The unknowing buyer bought himself a high priced used Gold Bug.

I own both the Gold Bug Pro and the G2. The only difference I can tell is the rod configuration and coils. They both work the same.

tabman

Already mentioned is the VCO on the PRO, but the other major differences are the PRO is a bit more sensitive, and it has manual Ground Balance capability, in addition to being able to Ground Grab (balance) the machine automatically. The Gold Bug you ground balance by bobbing to the ground, and you can not alter it manually. On the PRO you can do the same, or manually adjust it up or down with menu buttons. Both machines are great, but you have more versatility and better depth with the PRO.

Gene Scullion
First Texas Products.

Scully -- thanks for the additional info. YES, I forgot about the ground balance thing. Both ground balance of course, but only the Pro allows manual adjustment to balance, in ADDITION to Ground Grab. Thanks for that info (straight from "the horse's mouth!")

Steve

Sorry I lost track of this for a bit. Since Scully chimed in... Any comment on processor difference vs software only? I am thinking yes or no answer. I know proprietary info is a real concern. I have had a 4 version GB for over a year and a GBP in transit (due in a week) finally. Maybe I can tell by direct comparison, I don't like unbuttoning my machines.
Tom

Thanks from me too, Dave. I know practically speaking, there is no reason for end users caring/knowing processor info. Just the same, some of us mid-level users like to compare apples to apples not oranges. I am very appreciative you are willing to answer dumb questions that raise our knowledge base an increment higher.
Tom

Hello guys

Sorry to just now chime in on this thread, but I wold like to give my 2 cents on this. I've got to say my 29er KILLS high conductors. I have owned 3 G2's, and was blown away by the 29er. I don't know if mine is just hotter than normal, or because it's had the silver fix, but I was getting 3" deeper on silver than my G2. I'm not a relic hunter, it sure it would do well for that as well given its reputation. I will be looking for a used Gold Bug Pro soon to compare it to my 29er, but will be surprised if it can surpass the performance I am getting so far. I'm known for buying and selling detectors every other week just to try something else, but it would take A LOT to part with this 29er.

Brian-----Put a 13" Ultimate on that detector & let us know what it does. :thumbup:----------Del
silverman said:
Hello guys

Sorry to just now chime in on this thread, but I wold like to give my 2 cents on this. I've got to say my 29er KILLS high conductors. I have owned 3 G2's, and was blown away by the 29er. I don't know if mine is just hotter than normal, or because it's had the silver fix, but I was getting 3" deeper on silver than my G2. I'm not a relic hunter, it sure it would do well for that as well given its reputation. I will be looking for a used Gold Bug Pro soon to compare it to my 29er, but will be surprised if it can surpass the performance I am getting so far. I'm known for buying and selling detectors every other week just to try something else, but it would take A LOT to part with this 29er.

I just may, although I usually bring it out only where my etrac can't handle iron. It's my detector for those nasty iron infested sites, so the smaller 5x10 is my go to.