Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

whats the main difference between field 1 and 2?

Goes4ever

I got my nox 600 on monday and because of the weather I have not been able to get out yet except for playing for an hour in my yard, and trying it over my 5 year old test garden. I tried all modes over the test garden and hands down field 1 hits my coins better and more clear than any other modes. In park 1 my silver dimes at 8" hits but the numbers bounce like crazy, park 2 about the same. When I put it into field 1 it hits all my coins solid with solid numbers. Field 2 hits them all solid but numbers bounce. I read the manual looked at the difference in settings and really do NOT see any difference that would affect this between field 1 and 2. What am I missing???

Where I live the ground is very wet. I have noticed park 1 and field 1 give the best ID. I’m thinking something to do with the ground being wet . Park 2 and field 2 do not ID very well at all. I have a dime at 10 inches. Field 1 hits it hard whit good ID. I’m waiting for the ground to dry out to see if things change.

The only real difference is the frequency bias.
Field 1 is a lower freq bias than 2.
(On the 600, the default Recovery and Iron bias are the same in Field 1 and 2.)

Since you were smart enough to test each mode...in your soil...you now know which one is best...FOR YOU. :thumbup:

As far as why;
It's possible/probably your ground is moderately mineralized and/or saline.
Could also be some EMI in the higher frequency ranges in your location.
Also water moisture attenuates higher frequencies more than lower frequencies.

But the bottom line is that the 'what' is more important than the 'why'.
The 'what' is that your testing shows that you should be hunting in Field 1 in your location...regardless of the 'why'.

Good Luck, and HH
:)
mike

PS - Another thumbs-up for having a 5 year old test garden... :thumbup:

trojdor said:
The only real difference is the frequency bias.
Field 1 is a lower freq bias than 2.
(On the 600, the default Recovery and Iron bias are the same in Field 1 and 2.)

Since you were smart enough to test each mode...in your soil...you now know which one is best...FOR YOU. :thumbup:

As far as why;
It's possible/probably your ground is moderately mineralized and/or saline.
Could also be some EMI in the higher frequency ranges in your location.
Also water moisture attenuates higher frequencies more than lower frequencies.

But the bottom line is that the 'what' is more important than the 'why'.
The 'what' is that your testing shows that you should be hunting in Field 1 in your location...regardless of the 'why'.

Good Luck, and HH
:)
mike

PS - Another thumbs-up for having a 5 year old test garden... :thumbup:
according to the manual both field 1 and 2 by default are multi frequency am I reading that wrong?

No, you're not reading it wrong...you're just missing an important feature of how the multi-frequency works on the Equinox.

It's not one identical set of multi-frequencies for all modes.

The frequencies are mixed differently for each mode, in order to maximize the utility/performance of the detector.

Park 1 and Field 1 have a lower frequency bias in their multi-freq mix than do Park 2 and Field 2.

From the manual, Page 24:
Field 1 Multi-IQ processes a lower frequency weighted multi-frequency signal, as well as using
algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve
the best signal to noise ratio. Hence being most suited for general
detecting and coin hunting.

and

Field 2 Multi-IQ processes a higher frequency weighted multifrequency signal while ground balancing for soil.

Taken from Part 3. For the full explanation, read parts 1, 2, 3 and 4. HH Randy

https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-3

The Multi-IQ transmit signal used in EQUINOX is a complex waveform where multiple frequencies are combined in a very dissimilar way than our proven BBS/FBS technology in Excalibur II / Safari / E-TRAC / CTX 3030 detectors.

Multi-IQ is not a derivative or evolution of BBS/FBS. Multi-IQ is a DIFFERENT method of simultaneous multi-frequency metal detection. We could also debate “simultaneous” versus “sequential” semantics; however the real detection ‘magic’ doesn’t happen with what is transmitted to and received from the coil alone. .......In Part 2, we discussed how frequencies are “combined AND processed” as being important for achieving better results.
Park 1 and Field 1 process a lower weighted frequency combination, as well as using algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio. Hence being most suited for general detecting, coin hunting, etc.
Park 2 and Field 2 process a higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. Therefore they will be more sensitive to higher frequency (low conductive) targets, but potentially more susceptible to ground noise.
Beach 1 also processes a lower weighted combination, BUT uses different algorithms to maximise ground balancing for salt. Hence being most suited for both dry and wet sand conditions.
Beach 2 processes a very low weighted frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground balancing for salt. This search profile is designed for use in the surf and underwater.
Gold 1 and Gold 2 process the higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. However, they use different setting parameters better suited for gold nugget hunting.

The lower frequency bias of Field 1 (and P1) is more suited to detecting high conductive targets (most coins). That is why many coin hunters favor lower frequencies on detectors that offer a choice or get lower frequency coils. There is also a belief that lower frequency detect deeper although some do well coin hunting with higher frequencies.

The higher frequency bias of Field 2 (and P2) are more suited to mid and low conductive targets. Nickels, relics and gold fall into this category.

Goes4ever I agree field 1 works best for most of my sites, but don't forget about 2 it has it's place.
Just a word of caution when you are doing these comparisons one needs to be sure you are paying attention to local and global settings [page 22 in the manual].
When you switch modes you will notice that frequency, noise cancel, ground balance, iron bias and recovery speed- all which can alter performance are local settings. These must be set/checked each time you switch modes to get the true apples to apples comparisons!
HH Jeff

My friend and I buried a 9" .925 silver dime and in Park 1 and 2 I could barely hear it. In Field 2 same thing. BUT in Field 1 it came in perfectly clear and the numbers became stable. Before this I wasn't getting very many pennies deeper than 6"...but after switching to Field one it was like I was hunting a new place. Right away I dug a 9" wheatie. Later on I got two 8" large cents. Unless I'm hunting for gold my Nox 600 will stay on Field 1.

cashmole said:
My friend and I buried a 9" .925 silver dime and in Park 1 and 2 I could barely hear it. In Field 2 same thing. BUT in Field 1 it came in perfectly clear and the numbers became stable. Before this I wasn't getting very many pennies deeper than 6"...but after switching to Field one it was like I was hunting a new place. Right away I dug a 9" wheatie. Later on I got two 8" large cents. Unless I'm hunting for gold my Nox 600 will stay on Field 1.

I've hunted an old school house in Park1 with a few small changes but after reading this I'll try it again in Field 1, it may or may not be the same in my soil. I'm enjoying my Nox but that was one of the selling points early on for some of the threads, going over an area once in multi instead of two or three times using 7kHz then 19kHz etc. Looks like we're back in the same boat because the multi frequency bias is higher (better for low conductors) for one program the lower (better for high conductors) for another.