Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whats the Scoop on this Scoop?

buckeeeee

I bought a 6X9 CKG sand scoop six months ago and I use it almost daily, looks great (see picture), stainless steel, its light (carbon fiber shaft) and a all around great scoop. Last week I decided I needed a bigger scoop, I ordered a 11X8 CKG sand scoop. I received scoop (see pictures), is this normal. I sent it back and asked seller why my smaller scope looks so much different then the larger scoop (with pictures), he assured me they only make quality scoops and he would send one as good as the first smaller scoop. Today I received the new scoop (see pictures) is this new, refurbished or just poor workmanship?
20220508_103551.jpg
thumbnail.jpg
20220512_145438.jpg

To me, the smaller scoop shows tack welds that do not look like the welds penetrated well. The larger scoop shows a complete seam weld with better penetration of the welds, including the heat discoloration around the opposite side of the metal from where the handle tube and support bracing were welded. If the smaller scoop is holding up and you aren't breaking any welds with it, I suspect the bigger scoop will hold up well for you.

To me, the smaller scoop shows tack welds that do not look like the welds penetrated well. The larger scoop shows a complete seam weld with better penetration of the welds, including the heat discoloration around the opposite side of the metal from where the handle tube and support bracing were welded. If the smaller scoop is holding up and you aren't breaking any welds with it, I suspect the bigger scoop will hold up well for you.
So the discoloration is nothing to be concerned about and no cause to worry about rusting out in the future. I use it almost daily and always rinse off after use. I figured for a brand new scoop it would look new, scoops I've seen look clean and polished not discolored. tvr thanks for the reply

So the discoloration is nothing to be concerned about and no cause to worry about rusting out in the future. I use it almost daily and always rinse off after use. I figured for a brand new scoop it would look new, scoops I've seen look clean and polished not discolored. tvr thanks for the reply
The discoloration is mostly chromium depletion due to heat. It does increase the risk of corrosion. If it is surface scale it can sometimes be removed with abrasive surface cleaning. The most chromium depleted welds are more of a purple / blue color rather than brown yellow. There is some of that dark purple / blue around where the tube is welded. I'm guessing the gas flow around the welds had some oxygen in them rather than CO2 / Nitrogen. Oxygen content exacerbates the chromium depletion. In any case. The welds on the smaller scoop do not look like they penetrated well at all. If that one is holding up, I think the bigger scoop will be just fine. When I first started beach hunting I had a mild steel scoop that I did not rinse well at all. In clearing out the garage for a move, I found that scoop buried in a corner. It has surface rust but nothing that greatly affected it's structure. It sold at a yard sale two weeks ago, or I'd put up a picture. I don't think I'd be too concerned about your scoop rusting away.

Edited to add:
Took some pictures of my Sunspot Stealth scoop. It is 7 years old. Doesn't get used every day but probably averages a couple days a week. It has discoloration at some of the weld joints, shows good weld penetration and, as you can see, is not meticulously cleaned. It has held up well.

Last edited:
Construction looks quite poor to me.Even the seam welded one shows gapping on the seam weld.I've owned a few scoops and never owned one that has been spot welded either......all joints on my scoops have been fully seam welded.I'm not saying it wont hold up but if i had picked this up in a shop i would have put it back and walked away.

Your scoop is the bomb. How may hours do you spend in the surf if you don't mind me asking
Depends. Last week about four hours with about another 10 working the wet sand. This week will be none as we are back in Maryland packing, donating and otherwise dispensing with more stuff as we work to complete our move.
Scoop is a Sun Spot Stealth 720 scoop with hybrid bottom (smaller holes to trap earring backings) and the carbon fiber handle. Bought it before the company was sold and the manufacturing was moved out of country.