Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's this weird looking rock??

VickyRenee

It's the oddest looking thing!
It was found in northwest Missouri along the Grand River.
It's about 1" x 1.5" x 1"
Looks like mostly quartz, and is translucent, but it just has the weirdest look about it.
Is that agate inside? And there's a funny quartz ball on top LOL.
20240225_182216.jpg
20240225_182042.jpg
20240225_181659.jpg
20240225_181618.jpg
20240225_181118.jpg
20240225_181358.jpg

It looks like fossilized bone but what the heck do I know? Lol
1708910587959.png

Looks like some sort of silicate void fill. When there is a hole in sediment or rock and silica rich water enters the hole, the drop in pressure causes some of the silica to precipitate on the surface of the hole. Over time, the hole will fill from the outside in, and you will have a cast in the shape of the original hole. The hole could originally have been from a gas pocket, dissolution of minerals along a fracture, or rotting of organic material like a branch or root. In the case of a wooden branch, the bark texture can sometimes be seen on the surface of the fill material. Agate filling of a limb void would be called a limb-cast.

Your piece has what appears to be flat “wings“, which are probably fill from an old fracture.

Looks like a piece of agate. If you google "Agate formation" you will see the way it forms, pretty much as Geologyhound says.

Looks like some sort of silicate void fill. When there is a hole in sediment or rock and silica rich water enters the hole, the drop in pressure causes some of the silica to precipitate on the surface of the hole. Over time, the hole will fill from the outside in, and you will have a cast in the shape of the original hole. The hole could originally have been from a gas pocket, dissolution of minerals along a fracture, or rotting of organic material like a branch or root. In the case of a wooden branch, the bark texture can sometimes be seen on the surface of the fill material. Agate filling of a limb void would be called a limb-cast.

Your piece has what appears to be flat “wings“, which are probably fill from an old fracture.

Okay, gotcha, makes sense, thank you.
It's so hard to know sometimes though!
I DO know that I've probably tossed rocks back that were hidden gems!
I'm still learning as I go!!!