Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What's your favorite all around coil?

lovepulltabs

Hello all, I've finally taken the big step and will be getting an Explorer II shortly. I've got a Sovereign and my favorite all around coil on it is the 8" Coinsearch. I was just wondering what your guys favorite all around coil is for the Explorer is. Thanks for any replies.

that depends in the site your hunting. When in Trash, I can't resist the use of my Coiltek Joey Coil 5x10. It can get between the Trash and find a lot of Keepers that other Coils have missed because they were too big and there was too many Targets under them at 1 time. For all around hunting, I really liked the Stock Coil that came with the Explorer XS, this being the same Coil as the Explorer 2 but only Tan instead of Black on the 2. It can really find some Deep Coins but the weight will really show when you start swinging it. Now I use the 11" Pro Coil that just came out a few months ago and being really loving this Coil for all around hunting. It's lighter than the original Stock Coil and it has just a bit more Depth in Dry Ground also. I'm sure there is going to be a lot of different answers on Coil Sizes since everyone has their preferences so get ready for all the info. Also, welcome to the Explorer Forum and get ready to find Coins that your Sovereign didn't see. Good Luck and HH to you.:detecting:

Of course the stock SE coil didn't work worth a darn. I then bought a Sunray 5" X-5 coil. This has become my secondary coil now and I love using it when I find a hot spot in a park. It cuts through trash very well and gets surprising depth for it's size. Pinpointing is super easy.

I was still looking for a standard coil to replace the stock SE coil and I looked into the Coiltek Platypus. I could never feel comfortable with this coil. It felt heavier than the SE stock coil but actually weighed the same. After only three outings, I quickly got rid of this coil. Thank goodness, Minelab finally addressed that the SE stock coil was not up to snuff and came out with the Pro coil. I ended up purchasing one as soon as they came out and now use the Pro coil and my Sunray X-5. Those are the only two coils I need at the moment for my type of hunting (mostly parks/turf).:wiggle:

What settings are you using with your SR 5 coil in heavy trash ?
What depth are you getting ?
I will be getting a SR 5 coil tomorrow and hunting in some heavy trash with my SE.
Thanks...HH.
BJ

You know I usually run my sensitivity around 20 or 21 with the Sunray X-5, which is a couple more notches above what I run my Pro coil at. I run my machine on the stable side since I'd rather have it a little more stable and quite than hot and noisy. In heavy trash, I can get maybe 7-8" max. The only drawback to the coil is of course it's coverage, but what can you expect with a 5" coil? If you use it in areas that are hot and small, then it's the next best thing since sliced bread! :super:

As James says the Joey is a great coil, but been using the SunRay X-8 mostly on my E-Trac and my SE Pro I had and it has been doing real good for me. The new SE Pro coil also is a great coil and handles trash well while the little Sun Ray X5 I find great for the super trashy sites. Like the Sovereign and the 8 inch coinsearch coil is a good all around coil the SunRay X-8 would be a good all around coil for the Explorer.

n/t

For all around hunting I love the depth and separation of the Joey coil. For heavy trash the Excelerator EQ2 6 inch or the 4.5x7 inch excelerator both have proven to me to be the best two small coils.

Thanks for all the great replies, looks like the SunRay 8" and the Joey are good choices. Mine has the stock 10.5" coil. Also would like to ask without starting a new thread what headphones are you guys using? Are the Koss headphones that come with the machine the best? I've got some Killer B's that I like using and was wondering what everyone else prefers using on their explorer.

I like the Tones and if the Cord ever goes bad (which they do), you just unplug it from the headphones and put on the replacement cord that is sent with them when you buy a set. I have broken a couple cords and when I do, I buy 2 to replace that one so I have a good supply and never run short. So that's what I'm using for headphones and I have an extra set because I like them that much. You just never know when they may discontinue a good thing! Good Luck and HH.:thumbup:

Being I am hard of hearing I tried many and found for me the Troy Pros are what i use as the volume and tones fit my hearing the best. The SunRay Pro Golds I have a few that have them and love them while like James likes the Gray Ghost NDT and Dale one of his hunting buddies has the Gray Ghost ultimate and loves them too.

I only hunt the beach and I couldn't imagine using anything else than the 15" WOT!