Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wheat Cent Spill Record

miserman

Today I had a chance to hunt a private yard in a small town near me. My first finds were a green 1918 Wheat Cent and then a 5 inch Mercury Dime that gave a solid 74 signal. I then came across another strong 74 signal that I thought was going to be another silver dime. After digging down about 6 inches I came across two Wheat Cents that were stuck together. After probing with the pinpointer,I heard multiple signals still in the hole. Carefully digging deeper I found two more Wheats. This process continued several more times until I had found a total of 13 Wheats in the hole. This is a personal record of Wheats in the same hole for me. I ended up finding a total of 23 Wheats in about an hour and a half of hunting. My time was limited so I feel that when I am able to hunt this yard again there should be another silver or two......Thanks for looking
000_0612.jpg

Last edited:
Nice finds!!! Wheats are a good indication of the years people were active in that area. Most always find silver coins to. I went to an old park and found a pocket full of wheats over a few days of hunting. Finally on my last trip I found a 1945 silver quarter. It's well worth the time to keep looking!! HH rickinmi

I was in a school one evening in S. Lake Charles, and hit any area that produced 13 Wheat's from one hole. The last coin had an iron signal by it (on zero disc.)
After recovering I went to pinpoint/All metal and it nulled. I went ahead & dug, and got a somewhat rounded piece of iron turned to mineral. It was slightly bigger than a penny and thicker;
coming from that group of Wheat's I figure its my only steel cent ever.
Were you accepting nickels; often the deeper or more oxidized ones will read in the 'tab' range (and silver nickles can have much more variance too.)

miserman said:
Today I had a chance to hunt a private yard in a small town near me. My first finds were a green 1918 Wheat Cent and then a 5 inch Mercury Dime that gave a solid 74 signal. I then came across another strong 74 signal that I thought was going to be another silver dime. After digging down about 6 inches I came across two Wheat Cents that were stuck together. After probing with the pinpointer,I heard multiple signals still in the hole. Carefully digging deeper I found two more Wheats. This process continued several more times until I had found a total of 13 Wheats in the hole. This is a personal record of Wheats in the same hole for me. I ended finding a total of 23 Wheats in about an hour and a half of hunting. My time was limited so I feel that when I am able to hunt this yard again there should be another silver or two......Thanks for looking
I've never came close to that many wheats in one day, seems like maybe eight is the most I've ever found. Maybe on your next visit you'll get those silver's still hiding in there and believe me there should be more silver.

vlad said:
I was in a school one evening in S. Lake Charles, and hit any area that produced 13 Wheat's from one hole. The last coin had an iron signal by it (on zero disc.)
After recovering I went to pinpoint/All metal and it nulled. I went ahead & dug, and got a somewhat rounded piece of iron turned to mineral. It was slightly bigger than a penny and thicker;
coming from that group of Wheat's I figure its my only steel cent ever.
Were you accepting nickels; often the deeper or more oxidized ones will read in the 'tab' range (and silver nickles can have much more variance too.)
Thanks for responding vlad,I scanned the hole using All Metal Mode and even moved the dirt around with my digger several times and rescanned. I "think" i recovered all of them. It would have been nice if there had been a steel cent. The only steel cents that I have ever found were in coin spills. They were all in bad shape.

One time I was hunting besides a sidewalk and got a very good sounding signal dug down 4-5" and thought I'd gotten a big chunk of copper. I looked at it a little closer and it turned out to be 50 Wheaties. Someone must have dropped a whole roll and they were stuck together still.