Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When it all began 1867-69

cedarswamp

Not to long after the buck stopped being silver I wouldn't leave my Dad alone showing him metal detectors for sale in the back pages of Eastern Western Treasure magazine and all the finds layed out old coins and relics.He thought it was just a scam until a guy in the shop told him they really work.This teknology was relatively new back then but you should have seen the silver I brought home.Ended up buying another machine it was a Whites gold master that was so pretty nice blue paint with a red meter no motion and no ground balance had to keep the detector tuned to the ground if you lifted it would give false signal.Took a break from the hobby for a college scholarship in wrestling at Iowa U IN 1972.Picked up the interest 1980 with the whites 6db hip mount been going ever since cant count thr machines I bought and sold and have ten machines in my closet when asked why I need so many machines I reply because the disease still thinks LOL,,,,,P.S. Thought I would give a shout out while waiting for the weather to break here is a pic of the mystery detector if you have a story that goes back even further let us know or any time period it began for you,,,,,CEDAR Metrotech

Attachments

• IMG_1422(8).jpg
    IMG_1422(8).jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 113
Cedarswamp, ya ol codger. Nobody can go back further than that. You gotta be older than dirt. LOL
My first machine was a $50 unit from radio shack back in 1989. I needed something to find my aluminum arrows that missed the target and disappeared under the grass. From the moment I found my first arrow it's been a joy ride ever since.
Looking forward to hunting with you again soon.

It was 1972 for me and was no longer a kid, either. Jetco Mustang, as I recall, and that was followed by a White's BFO Coin Master, if I am remembering that correctly. Over the years I've used many different flavors of detectors, but those first two were the deciding factors for creating a interest that has stuck with me for 50+ years now. And fellow hobbyists, finding silver just never grows old. HH jim tn

Early 70's for me, dad bought a Conquistador coin master made by Whites electronics. My wife enjoys the hobby as well and detecting has been the theme for a lot of hunting "trips". With 10 plus hunts in the UK and multiple hunts in different parts of the USA it's been a great way to discover history that most people never get to see. With the exception of a few years I have kept up on the new technology and am currently enjoying the new Manticore.
HH Jeff

Not to long after the buck stopped being silver I wouldn't leave my Dad alone showing him metal detectors for sale in the back pages of Eastern Western Treasure magazine and all the finds layed out old coins and relics.He thought it was just a scam until a guy in the shop told him they really work.This teknology was relatively new back then but you should have seen the silver I brought home.Ended up buying another machine it was a Whites gold master that was so pretty nice blue paint with a red meter no motion and no ground balance had to keep the detector tuned to the ground if you lifted it would give false signal.Took a break from the hobby for a college scholarship in wrestling at Iowa U IN 1972.Picked up the interest 1980 with the whites 6db hip mount been going ever since cant count thr machines I bought and sold and have ten machines in my closet when asked why I need so many machines I reply because the disease still thinks LOL,,,,,P.S. Thought I would give a shout out while waiting for the weather to break here is a pic of the mystery detector if you have a story that goes back even further let us know or any time period it began for you,,,,,CEDAR Metrotech
Probably should read 1960's LOL

Cedar, was Iowa a wrestling powerhouse in 1972? At any rate, it is truly impressive to have a wrestling scholarship to any Big 10 school. One old timer showed me a cigar box full of silver from a local dance hall, skating rink, and ball field that dated to early 1900's. Over the years I have found 30 or so silver coins from this spot and all were very deep(8 plus inches) Could you imagine today's technology hunting those spots for the first time. Nice post!