Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!



Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When the target is DEEP - Explorer and Sunray Probe?

TabGrabber

New member
I have an Explorer SE Pro that I'm still learning, but I'm finding it pretty easy to use overall.

I am having a small problem with deep targets though. I have had solid hits in the quarter range that showed as 12"+ on the depth meter. I pinpoint, and start digging where it appears to be. And I dig. And I dig. But I can't seem to get down to the target. Yesterday, I had a hole that was 14" deep (measured by stacking my TRX on top of my Lesche in the hole), and the SE was still telling me the target was there, but my pinpointer never got a hit. Any targets that the depth meter shows to be anything less then 8-10", I don't seem to be having any problem finding, it's only those that the meter is bottomed out on.

The pinpointer hasn't failed me in other holes, so I don't think it's the pinpointer. I don't want to keep digging, as I really don't want to dig to China in this lady's lawn. I eventually gave up, thinking that it must be something large, like a can or other scrap that was just buried crazy deep.

This has gotten me thinking about the Sunray X-1 probe. Would the probe have helped in these cases? I'm thinking the probe goes deeper (not sure how deep it goes) then the TRX, and would let me know if my hole is off, or if the target is actually there where I'm digging. I think it will also help with those signals that sound great before you start the hole, but only for the signal to change to something not so great once the hole is opened.

For those of you have or have had the Sunray, how helpful is it? Do you use it in concert with a handheld, or just the Sunray and ditch the handheld? The recent price surge in the Sunray has me really questioning the benefit of having one, but at the same time, not having one could be costing me more.
 

roadapple

New member
I have both the Sun Ray X1 probe and the TRX probe. With the Explorer/or E-Trac the Sun Ray X1 is fantastic!!! The Sun Ray is the same as your coil and machine settings down in the hole. However, from what your saying is happening that deep down ......it sounds like your getting a false signal rather than a true target. The TRX pin pointer is a very deep probe with the tip reading the metal target . This is why I use both , as the Sun Ray X1 picks up signals the same as the coil. With all that being said ....if you can find a deal on a Sun Ray X1 .....Get it !!!!
 

BigTony

Active member
I don't own the X-1 probe, I use pin pointer but I too have trouble on deep ones. I usually use the machine's pinpoiner and circle the hole. Targets are not centered when using Double D coils and going deep. There was a post recently with pictures to explain the magnetic fields and why they bend on double d coils
Check below under "bad coil testing" by Charles very good info that might help you out
 

kansasexp2

New member
I have the SE Pro with a Sunray probe but also have the TRX. I don't think the Sunray would help you as far as extra depth goes. It is nice not to have to carry a pinpointer with you and have to buy batteries for. It is also nice that since the Sunray acts as the detectors coil and gives you the tone ID of the target. It sounds to me like a large deep target but they usually will read shallower than they actually are. Does the target sound faint like a deeper target would or does it sound off like a shallow target?
 

Tony N (Michigan)

Active member
It might be a huge chest filled with gold coins. Maybe you were within a couple inches of hitting it?

When you are in pinpoint, a deep coin should exhibit a short blip when you move the coil back and forth over it. It is is a long sound, it's a large object.
 

5900_XL-1

Member
I had a signal in my yard like that when I first started and ended up finding my ceptic tank.

If my pinpointer doesn't sound off after I dig the detector's measured target depth, I close the hole. It's something large, not a coin.
 

Tony N (Michigan)

Active member
roadapple said:
I have both the Sun Ray X1 probe and the TRX probe. With the Explorer/or E-Trac the Sun Ray X1 is fantastic!!! The Sun Ray is the same as your coil and machine settings down in the hole. However, from what your saying is happening that deep down ......it sounds like your getting a false signal rather than a true target. The TRX pin pointer is a very deep probe with the tip reading the metal target . This is why I use both , as the Sun Ray X1 picks up signals the same as the coil. With all that being said ....if you can find a deal on a Sun Ray X1 .....Get it !!!!
Do you know if it is possible for me, personally, to take off my Sun Ray X1 off my Explorer XS rod and put it only my Explorer SE rod?
 
5900_XL-1 said:
I had a signal in my yard like that when I first started and ended up finding my ceptic tank.

If my pinpointer doesn't sound off after I dig the detector's measured target depth, I close the hole. It's something large, not a coin.
I agree 5900, its not worth wasting ones time... on to the next target!
 

IDXMonster

Well-known member
Tony N (Michigan) said:
roadapple said:
I have both the Sun Ray X1 probe and the TRX probe. With the Explorer/or E-Trac the Sun Ray X1 is fantastic!!! The Sun Ray is the same as your coil and machine settings down in the hole. However, from what your saying is happening that deep down ......it sounds like your getting a false signal rather than a true target. The TRX pin pointer is a very deep probe with the tip reading the metal target . This is why I use both , as the Sun Ray X1 picks up signals the same as the coil. With all that being said ....if you can find a deal on a Sun Ray X1 .....Get it !!!!
Do you know if it is possible for me, personally, to take off my Sun Ray X1 off my Explorer XS rod and put it only my Explorer SE rod?
Tony,unless you are willing to ruin that probe,do NOT try removing it from the XS rod and re-installing it on the SE. It is done in a particular way and is VERY easy to screw it up! If you are a wizard then it can be done,but there's a reason Ralph at Sunray was taking in upper rods and installing probes instead of sending bare probes to people to have them installed by the customer. VERY easy to mess it up....it is NOT recommended...by ME...who is pretty handy...who screwed mine up!
 
Top