Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When to raise reactivity

Dalpal

I have been using my Deus for about 3 months and have been liking it more as time goes on. Many of the sites I go to have a lot of iron. I usually use reactivity 2 and raise to 3 if the iron gets heavier but I am not confident I am using the best setting. How do you guys decide when to change your reactivity?

Dalpal

When you start getting a lot of iffy and chopped signals, many times those will be coins or other non-ferrous items co-located within iron. Remember that raising reactivity will effectively "chop" a good signal into more and more of a "chirp". A good way to demonstrate this is to air test a couple coins and listen for the signal difference. The TONE will be exactly the same with reactivity = 0 vs reactivity = 5, however the "signal length" will be much shorter. Once you get more familiar with iron "bleed through" you can lower silencer settings as well - are you using Iron Volume at 1 or higher?

I hunted an area in reactivity = 3 a month or so back and thought I got most of the goods. Then I had a thought about reactivity and sweep speed - revisited the site and turned reactivity up to "4" and SLOWED down the sweep speed - and managed a couple more Wheats and a Buffalo nickel. Some people will tell you that slowing the sweep speed will have the same effect as lowering reactivity, which is partly true in my experience. If you go too slow, iron will try to bleed through, but for the most part you will be able to pull additional goodies. Low silencer settings are important for getting that slight extra depth with reactivity at 3 or higher.

It may take a few hours to get used to the audio signals within trash, but once you get it down your finds will drastically increase and you will find yourself revisiting old sites and picking winners!

Another good idea to eliminate the deeper and rusted iron is to try out a 4 kHz program - this spreads out the VDI a little more (make sure ID normalization is OFF) and provides slightly increased max detection depth for copper and silver coins. The tradeoff is that 4 kHz isn't as sharp and concise as using 8 kHz and 12 kHz in the trash, but most of the time there's no mistaking a "dig me" signal over the background chatter.

Thanks for your reply,

I usually have the iron volume set to 1 or 2 and the silencer set to 0 or 1. I find that the squawky chopped signals are hard to interpret and have dug some that turned out to be very corroded buttons of ferrous
items. I will try increasing the reactivity on some areas where I start to get clipped signals and see how I make out.

CZ, so what you are saying is the more you raise reactivity the more chopped the signal will get? Would I be correct with that assumption?
Thanks
E

I know I'm not CZ, but am going to be bold enough to jump in, too. The word "chopped" is somewhat loaded, and to some folks it implies "interrupted". So instead of thinking of it as interrupted, clipped, or somehow cut off, think of it in the following way. I am going to make up the following durations, so they are not reflective of reality, but it's to help illustrate the point. Pretend that
* At reactivity = 0, the tone lasts for 1 second and that reflects the processing speed
* At reactivity = 1, the tone lasts for 0.6 second
* At reactivity = 2, the tone lasts for 0.4 second
* At reactivity = 3, the tone lasts for 0.2 second

So at reactivity = 0, if you sweep over a target , and within 1 second of that target you go over a second target, you won't hear it. The duration of the tone reflects the first target. At reactivity 3, that 2nd target would be heard if it was far away from the first target that the 0.2 second tone from the first target was completed.
As you increase reactivity, what allows you to separate targets also makes the duration of the tone shorter. So yes, to many folks those shorter duration tones sound clipped or chopped, particularly relative to slower reactivities. I know I struggled with it somewhat at the beginning because those shorter tones didn't give my brain enough time to process. I actually learned better at reactivity = 1, and began to recognize certain tones. So when I bumped up reactivity to 3, I was able to recognize those tones, even with a much shorter duration.

Hope that all made sense!
Rich

samandnoah said:
I know I'm not CZ, but am going to be bold enough to jump in, too. The word "chopped" is somewhat loaded, and to some folks it implies "interrupted". So instead of thinking of it as interrupted, clipped, or somehow cut off, think of it in the following way. I am going to make up the following durations, so they are not reflective of reality, but it's to help illustrate the point. Pretend that
* At reactivity = 0, the tone lasts for 1 second and that reflects the processing speed
* At reactivity = 1, the tone lasts for 0.6 second
* At reactivity = 2, the tone lasts for 0.4 second
* At reactivity = 3, the tone lasts for 0.2 second

So at reactivity = 0, if you sweep over a target , and within 1 second of that target you go over a second target, you won't hear it. The duration of the tone reflects the first target. At reactivity 3, that 2nd target would be heard if it was far away from the first target that the 0.2 second tone from the first target was completed.
As you increase reactivity, what allows you to separate targets also makes the duration of the tone shorter. So yes, to many folks those shorter duration tones sound clipped or chopped, particularly relative to slower reactivities. I know I struggled with it somewhat at the beginning because those shorter tones didn't give my brain enough time to process. I actually learned better at reactivity = 1, and began to recognize certain tones. So when I bumped up reactivity to 3, I was able to recognize those tones, even with a much shorter duration.

Hope that all made sense!
Rich

^That's a great explanation - couldn't have stated it better! Remember, though, that as you increase reactivity (processing speed), maximum detection depth decreases. In detecting my own yard recently, I found a silver Washington that was only 5" deep (see previous posts) but also in the hole were 5 nails of varying lengths. The Deus won't be able to get EVERY coin mixed in with trash, but its non-ferrous recognition abilities are second to none. I remember when I found that silver quarter I was in Reactivity 3 in 4kHz. The signal sounded terrible, and on about every third of fourth swing, a high tone would try to come through. This wasn't a signal I would have dug normally, but curiosity got the best of me and I just HAD to see what it was! I've looked for similar signals in my yard but haven't found any that sound the same and end up being coins.

If you get one of these short and blippy signals, slow down the swing speed and see if Deus resolves the target and better after a couple of swings. If the signal still sounds terrible, chances are it's junk or maybe something that's just barely notched out. If you get an occasional high tone - the chances are better that it's a partially masked keeper.

I may be able to make a video of detecting silver coins at fringe depths in 4 kHz compared to other frequencies - I know I promised this a week or two ago, but today may be the day I pull it all together....