Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When to use discrimination?

Justadad1999

When hunting in city, county parks, soccer, baseball fields, do you recommend hunting in discrimination mode OR all metal mode?

If you are a coin hunter you want to use quite a bit disc, if you are looking for coins and gold jewelery you want to use some disc to get rid of the nail, small alum foil. Now if you are a relic hunter than you may want to run all metal. If you have a tone ID detector you also can run all metal as iron will have low tone. I have a Sovereign GT with tone ID and I run with no disc( will disc out iron at no disc.) at all and go by the tones. This is the same with my Explorer as it too is tone ID and I will disc out some of the iron. My X-Terra also are tone ID so I can run with no disc. Myself I could not run a single tone detector in all metal for parks and school hunting as you would be digging all the time or looking at a meter, but with tones you can tell when you go over a metal target.

It probably would have to depend on what type of detector you are using. The more expensive detectors are fairly accurate in their discrimination, and at the same time are great on depth. Unless you are in an area of silt, discrimination would be the best way to go for those places you mention. Run your discrimination at a setting you are comfortable with... the lower the better.