Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

When will the GPX5000 be replaced/updated?

The past has shown, detectors are continually updated or replaced by other models.
When do you think an updated or replacement GPX5000 will show its face?

Ha! Minelab tricked me! They used to do a new model about every two years. I sold my GPX 5000 last summer thinking a new GPX would come out before this coming summer. Well, guess what. I was wrong! I am now getting ready to buy a new GPX 5000.

Interesting way to say "heck if I know". The truth is the GPX 5000 sells as fast as they make them. Nobody makes anything remotely close, so Minelab would just be competing with themselves. So why bother?

steve herschbach said:
Ha! Minelab tricked me! They used to do a new model about every two years. I sold my GPX 5000 last summer thinking a new GPX would come out before this coming summer. Well, guess what. I was wrong! I am now getting ready to buy a new GPX 5000.
Interesting way to say "heck if I know". The truth is the GPX 5000 sells as fast as they make them. Nobody makes anything remotely close, so Minelab would just be competing with themselves. So why bother?

Ouch!!! That hurts, lets hope they don't do a double whammy and bring out a new model after you get your 2nd GPX5000...

They will. Murphy's Law. In fact you can all thank me for making a new unit show up right after I get my new GPX. I am waiting until last possible second but have to pull the trigger by May no matter what. But I am not crying very hard. I got a good price on my used one and will get a discount on my new one. I'm not hurting, thanks to a little help from my friends.

When you think about it. And I have been for awhile I purchased the 5000 just a little over two years ago and really like the machine. If you look at what could they improve on the only thing I can think of is Iron reject for the relic hunters. And that detector is really a gold machine and most people that use it for that don't use iron reject because they use mono coils. I can't see why they would add more timings unless they could improve on fine gold setting. Going to Az. in a couple weeks to try my luck on gold can't wait. But I am sure if they come out with a 6000 or what ever I will be there to try it out. I may be a little slower buying it til it proves itself. I do hunt the beach but don't use the 5000 just the CTX 3030 and the TDI Pro. All I can say keep up the good work Minelab.

The heck with the relic hunters, give us gold hunters better ferrous discrimination! I hunt tailing piles and I have dug a tons of ferrous junk. I do not expect more depth or more sensitivity to small stuff or a better threshold - that is all about as good as I can ever hope for.

I want a GPX in a CTX housing!

Steve said:
The heck with the relic hunters...:starwars:

Really! Thats very harsh and unkind! My feelings are hurt! :cry:

Actually, the GPX opened up relic hunting not only in Virginia but all over this country. Its depth is unsurpassed and it can handle any soil. I know where you can find several hundred congregated in March and November.

I'm with you. If Minelab makes a new machine I would like to see a GPX in a CTX style package or waterproof anyway. Speaking of CTX, between it and the GPX Minelab has the entire market covered. Of course thats just my opinion. But with those 2 machines what other machine would a person need? I'm hoping that Coiltek will soon have some offerings for the CTX.

Anybody who knows what ML's sales of GPX machines in Australia and North America are is certainly not telling, but you only have to read Codan's annual reports from 2012 and 2013 to know that their real profits are coming from Africa, Asia and South America.

With a new "super gold machine" and a "mid range gold machine" in ML's announced lineup for 2014, it's hard to see a long future for the GPX-5000. With the drop in the gold price, a market for detectors that cost more than $5-6 K seems pretty limited, so I can't see the super gold machine costing much more than the GPX-5000 does. Likewise the mid range machine along with machines like the Garrett ATX would eat up GPX-5000 sales from underneath - not because they are as good as the GPX-5000, but because they are good enough.

It may not mean anything, but the symbols for the mid priced machine and the super machine are the same and we already know that the mid pieced machine is ruggedized and waterproof, boult on the F3 demining detector platform. Steve might get his wish for a waterproof PI from ML with the power and adaptability of the GPX next year.