Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where are the Teknetics instruments made ?

n/t

Hello Mike, thank you and would this be First Texas that makes Bounty Hunter ? I been playing around with the Golden uMax and that is a great instrument ! Nice to visit with you again and God Bless you and yours Mike.

John T., CET
Wirechief:usaflag::csflag::detecting:

Hi John,

You are correct, that would be First Texas Products.

What do you think about the Golden?

:detecting:

Hey Mike, I like the Golden and I hate to say it but I keep trying the Edge and always go back and grab the Golden in short order ! Like the Tejon the Golden finds stuff. I am going to be working out the Golden quite a bit I can see. What about this T2 is it real or more hype? CU later Mike and God Bless ya my friend.

John T., CET:detecting:

Same as me, when you try one you'll know. My chance arrives tomorrow. I paid big bucks, with big expectations to match based on the reports. It's still gotta prove itself against what I already own. If you see my Time Ranger and Gold Bug for sale, you'll know. If it's for a "Like New T2", you'll know that too!
-Ed

Hi Ed, Mr.Bill emailed me and said it is definitely a keeper for him and if it fits Mr.Bill then I know I can take it to the bank. But I would be a little hesitant to sell the Goldbug, from what I have read and seen the Goldbug is hard to beat. I don't have any idea if it is a good coin instrument but I think it has been around long enough to prove itself. Keep us posted on your thoughts and opinion of the T2 after you give it a workout. I might as well say it, I am no fan of First Texas and I have felt for a long time that they are all about quantity and not quality. I hope they change my mind with the T2. So Ed God Bless ya and very nice to meet you here on the forum, CU later mi amigo.

John Tomlinson, CET
John's Detectors :detecting::goodnight:

Thanks John,

For sure the GB1 is capable, sensitive, good depth with stock coil, well-built, etc. For me, lack of iron reject is a serious issue, since the miners here were notoriously sloppy and tossed cans and whatnot into any idle prospect hole or just anywhere. The modern inhabitants can be just as bad! Nails abound around the old buildings. Plus the ground can be highly variable. I quickly tired of digging bits of wire at 7" inches of rocky dirt and constantly losing control of threshold due to ground balance changes.

The only reason I still have it is I paid something like $650 for it and am just hoping one day I'll find a spot where it can do its thing uninhibited by all the junk. But why keep it sitting unused when the T2 seems more like what I shoulda got in the first place - never mind the T2 wasn't available back in '96!

My wife bought it in Arizona at a gold show while I was stuck at home. I specified a Disc. machine, she was recommended the GB by one of the Massey boys of Gold Fever fame. How could she resist that pitch? Anyway, long story longer, wrong machine for this trash-filled area.

The Time Ranger has excellent iron reject and good ID, but more masking and less depth than the T2 reports I've read.

I've compared the TR to several other BH models and like the operation of all I've tried. I agree some things could be more rugged, like the battery clips and coil cable/connector. These things are easily upgraded for a few bucks if it's an issue or they fail, but at the price point of the TR, they might've afforded the better connectors as found on the Gold Bug and other machines.

It seems that issue at least has been addressed in the T2.

Internally, the BH machines I've checked out have good designs, circuit layout and construction, good quality parts. The Time Ranger is a pretty advanced PIC microcontroller design, while the Gold Bug was built around discrete logic chips and is generally older tech these days.

Going back further, machines from the pre-BH First Texas were, I suppose, similar in design to other popular entry-level machines of the time, but executed in a low-cost package and nothing to write home about.

George Payne's excellent designs were incorporated into FT's offerings when they absorbed Teknetics/Bounty Hunter. While you might say they were cheaply built, I don't think they were necessarily detecting slouches. If they suffered, it was in the depth department, but the TR is not too bad in that regards. Not as deep as the Gold Bug, but now we must return to the relative value of wire at 7 inches or something nicer, but not as deep.

With either TR or GB, I've left plenty of unretrieved targets simply because I wouldn't, or couldn't after trying, excavate through rocks 8, 10 or more inches deep to find it.

I hope we both find the machine we're looking for in the T2. I should be able to put it through its paces out here in mining country.

-Ed