Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where are ya'lls best places to find rings

goldseeker4000

Would like to hear all the kinds of places you find rings. Beaches are obviously the best places but there aren't any here in Kalispell area. I found my only gold ring, detecting, at a private home in the front yard. made around in the 1950's, a roman centurion intaglio estate ring. 9.8 grams, 10 kt gold with hematite stone with hand carved roman centurion in the stone.

In order of my best finds

Soccer Fields. Near where coaches set, or right near the sidelines.

Tot lots

Parks

Sports fields? Tot lots? Really. I never would have guessed those. I don't think there are any sports fields around my area that are old enough to even find a 64 silver. And when ya'll say tot lots, what exactly do you mean? Is it just a section of a park with all the jungle gyms and climbing stuff for kids? I don't think there are any area's with those here that are old either. Great for clad tho in my area. Lol. Still the best places in my area, that I have found old stuff is private homes, knocking on doors and gaining permission to hunt. My buddy has one area that is very old. the housing section is about 50 acres and houses are gone. Coins are speratic across the area. Haven't hunted it yet. I got permission at this old brick home that I was told was built in the 1890's and that it used to be a stage stop and then a whore house. Thought it would be great. Only found two memorial lincoln pennies. Never saw that comming. There must have been fill dirt brought in and can't reach all the good stuff. I need some new ideas as to research old locations where nothing is standing any more.

any old fresh water swimming hole. from the edge to as far in as you can get into 4-6 feet from the shore. that's where people start to dry and shake off when getting out of the water.

Tot lots are my #1 place and parks are my 2nd. The best place to detect at a tot-lot to find gold I've found is anywhere near the kiddie swings. This year alone I've found 6 gold rings, 3 of which were near the swings. Try to envision mom pushing junior who is 12 months or so old and "bloop" off comes a wedding band. In a way for me it's a bummer because I try to return all my rings. Most people today don't engrave their rings so it's almost beyond impossible. To combat this dilemma, I carry detecting business cards (with my website address on it) on me and hand them out to the mom's at the tot-lots if I happen to spot one, and let them know if they know of anyone who has "lost something" to just email me. This way if they get to talking, maybe I can reconnect a mom or two with their wedding bands. Worth a shot anyway. NOTE: I hit tot-lots very EARLY. 7 or 8 am. (Just check your city ordinances) That usually gives me 2 to 3 hours of uninterrupted detecting before the swarm of caravans show up with piles of kids. Being a dad of 3 little ones, I'd be a little apprehensive of a strange looking guy on a tot-lot so I try to respect all parents by packing up when they show up. I get many smiles or, "You don't need to leave" which is nice to hear too.

For parks I like to work near trees first. (These provide much shade in the summer and I've found tons of coin spills and 3 gold rings right under trees this year.)

Great question and thanks for asking. Godspeed Goldseeker.

Greg

The best ring-dumps are beneath clothes lines. Same for most jewellery.

Problem is the blanket sheets of clothes peg metal. Masking to the extreme.

But if a guy decided to do a full honest days work of digging down to a foot and a half and either sifting the soil through mesh, or detecting the dug soil, the rewards are tremendous under the right line.

The jewellery dropping out of blouse pockets and pant pockets are unbelievable, due to people taking the bling off and forgetting where they've put it.

I've dug the house line where I've been living the last five years or so. It's a large house with three ensuites that was a women's refuge for a decade or so. Hard work but the gold found with stones in them was something even I was not expecting. And the coinage was so plentiful too.
Didn't take long for the grass to regrow. And under lines the grass is usually a different color and make up anyway compared to the rest of the yard due to different shade at times ect.
Funny thing about clothes lines. The large hoist umbrella type I mean, is that the ground is usually really mushy as it never get foot traffic or any other type of pressure, and the metallic objects sink well in the rainy seasons.

My other best ring areas are a kind of no-no secret due to the ethics aspect, but is the best producer with hardly any junk to deal with at all.

Dude! I'm just a bit familiar with your area, was ready to move up to Fortine a while back, and been through your town a time or two...If'n I was you, and hunting for rings in that area, I'd be hitting the ski/sledding hills and also the edges of the parking lots where the snow gets pushed, as well as any beaches or out of the way local swimming holes.....I would think the edges of the parking lots would be primo...If you can locate the store or gym or whatnot where a lot of women go even if its to pick up kids at the school and find those snow pile zones, you will find plenty 'O rings..check your local Craigslist under lost and found to get an idea of likely areas where rings are commonly lost...not that you may look for that specific ring, but to give you and idea of typical locations of where things are lost...those snowpiles are chuck full of everything that gets dropped in those parking lots. I bet you a dollar that you can even find one out on the ice in the winter if theres a big ice fishing tournament going on, go out and sweep that area after....whereever folks are taking off gloves frequently theres a good chance the ring comes off with it...hit the local high school parking area at the end of this coming week while everybody is out for Thanksgiving Holiday and I bet you will find all sorts of stuff...thats what I'm gonna do!:thumbup:
Mud.

You mentioned 'old places'. Why does it have to be old? You asked about where to find rings, "old" really is a non entity if looking for jewelry, you just need a gathering place that some sort of activity takes place where the opportunity exists for jewelry to be lost.
The ski areas around Kalispel, Whitefish, etc., would be perfect if they will let you up there.
Believe it or not, my best places have been grade schools.

Where you find them.
Anywhere you find coins you'll find a ring.
They usually pop out when you aren't expecting too!
Especially the silver ones that you think sound like a quarter...

goldseeker4000 said:
Sports fields? Tot lots? Really. I never would have guessed those. I don't think there are any sports fields around my area that are old enough to even find a 64 silver. And when ya'll say tot lots, what exactly do you mean? Is it just a section of a park with all the jungle gyms and climbing stuff for kids? I don't think there are any area's with those here that are old either. Great for clad tho in my area. Lol. Still the best places in my area, that I have found old stuff is private homes, knocking on doors and gaining permission to hunt. My buddy has one area that is very old. the housing section is about 50 acres and houses are gone. Coins are speratic across the area. Haven't hunted it yet. I got permission at this old brick home that I was told was built in the 1890's and that it used to be a stage stop and then a whore house. Thought it would be great. Only found two memorial lincoln pennies. Never saw that comming. There must have been fill dirt brought in and can't reach all the good stuff. I need some new ideas as to research old locations where nothing is standing any more.
Ok if you mean rings or any type of jewelry, the park doesn't have to be old! It just has to be well used with a good population. Finding a 64 silver is no indication that a modern gold ring may be at the same site. I know that basketball courts are great as players get sweaty and rings can fly off when shooting a basket or slip off sweaty hands when taking a break on the grass next to the courts. Oops, sorry Bill I just read your post and completely agree.

'sokay Scott. I do the same from time to time. :)

atomicscott said:
goldseeker4000 said:
Ok if you mean rings or any type of jewelry, the park doesn't have to be old! It just has to be well used with a good population. Finding a 64 silver is no indication that a modern gold ring may be at the same site. I know that basketball courts are great as players get sweaty and rings can fly off when shooting a basket or slip off sweaty hands when taking a break on the grass next to the courts. Oops, sorry Bill I just read your post and completely agree.

That was a awesome post a lot of input and good suggestions. I am going to try them spots out and see how i do. I really liked the CL idea that was genius.