Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where should I hunt?

Overvoltage

I wanted to share the story of this one particular park I have been hunting for about 7 years. There are a couple of other people who detect there on occasion but I believe I am the only one who detects there almost every day. The history of this park is it use to be part of a plantation until the early 1900s. Then, prior to WW2 it was a small airfield. Now, it is a very large park divided into three sections. Two of the sections are mostly new baseball fields (fenced) with an open field in-between where there is a batting cage, pitching mounds and an open area where they play soccer. On occasions, during the summer months they have one of those big air slides with water going to it in this field. The third section of this park is one very large open field where they set up soccer fields. I would guess this area to be about 80 acres. Over the years I have pulled about $500 in clad out of this park. However, in the past year I have found 2 V-Nickels (1901 and 1893 my oldest coins to date) and a few rings (silver and gold) in the section that is a big open field. I know this area has never had fill dirt brought in nor has it been cleared. I have found old farming parts and horse tack in this field but I have never found any silver in this section. Now, the field in-between the baseball fields I have recently found a merc dime and a silver quarter both from the early 1940s along with A LOT of aluminum type metal that looks an awful lot like aircraft grade aluminum to me and some Ford model-T parts (hub caps and radiator cap and a key). I am thinking this area might be where they parked and worked on the aircraft because the dirt in this area is hard packed and has a slight petroleum smell to it. I am torn between these two areas. Using the GPS on the CTX3030 I have started gridding and mapping both areas. Based on the information I have given, which area do you think I should concentrate my efforts first:shrug:?

Detect it all. Start grid searching one small area at a time. It's not such a large area to cover if you take small sections one at a time.:detecting:

tabman

Good detecting work there ...even to the point of reading/smelling the dirt right! I'm impressed...:surprised:

I would say work that parking lot until you sort of find the edges of the hard pack/oil smelling dirt until you get that outlined...then try to get an old aerial of the layout of where all the building used to be based upon that...that should give you more bearings to work possible productive areas further...possibly eliminating an entire covered hunt of the site...anyway, this is an exciting place...lots of stuff got dropped in that parking lot, so I would focus there and proceed as the site tells you more about itself, also the silver waiting for you there should keep you motivated...you sure got a good sense about this..great post..detecting really is a study of a humans interaction with topography, and to be good at it, you need to use all your senses, which you are!
Bravo!:clapping:
Mud

Thanks Mud, I have not been able to locate any maps that show the old airfield. I have not been able to get to town hall to see if they have any plat info that goes that far back. I know of the history from talking to some old timers in the area. I was able to use google earth to see what the area looked like 25 years ago before they built all of the new ballfields. The plantation house is still there.

Get the street address and try this website Historicaerials.Com I use it to find new spots to hunt.