Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where to go in Alaska?

TerrificPacific

Thank you for all of your posts on here and sharing your adventures and experience with us.
My question is where to go....as a "tourist" to detect for gold? I was all jazzed up for a trip to GANES CREEK, but it seems that is not n option anymore.
I have read of some places that seem just a little bit too much like a tourist trap type setting....are there any places to go that are `remote` but still offer meals and a decent level of integrity for a quasi roughing it adventure and still have a decent chance of finding nuggets?
Also, I see that you rarely comment on White's equipment anymore..........I have an MXT Pro.....can you tell me if you still feel positive about nugget hunting with this machine?
Thanks in advance for your time,
TerrificPacific

I assume you were addressing me. There are currently only two metal detecting oriented "pay-to-mine" operations in Alaska. Paradise Valley in the Brooks Range and the new AKAu operation near Nome. Links to these and other locations are found at the Public Mining Sites List I have never been to either so can't comment personally. I have been tempted to give the Nome gig a try.

Ganes Creek helped make the MXT famous as a tailing pile nugget machine and nothing has changed since. It is a great detector for hunting tailing piles and still plenty of gold being found with MXTs. You have an excellent detector.

Learn to luv the one your with as everything is always brighter on the other side a the hill--till ya get there. Lotza luck in AK as gettn' late n' the summer now and fall falls like a rock-John

[size=large][size=x-large][size=large]Steve,
Thanks a bunch for the response....so I will start investigating Nome over the winter and see what I may be able to get myself into for late spring, early summer next year.
Are there any other mine / miners in AK that might be contacted about having a detectorist roaming around.....or perhaps public lands - old mine sites? If these questions seem naive.....I guess it is because I AM!! lol
Hoser John; Spent some time in the Alutions, both in the service (USCG) and commercial fishing (Kodiak, Dutch, Akutan,,,,) Have seen Fall come in overnight......and winter come in the swells and then the sky.....
I can't wait to get back up North!!
Thanks for any info in the future as well!![/size][/size][/size]

This place is kinda new.
http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/mine_fs/petersvi.pdf

From where I live and my rather limited budget, mainly concerning fuel, it's at the outer limits to drive. It's called the Petersville recreational area. Amazingly, you can use anything shy of a skid steer. And you can drive in. I have not a clue to be honest if it pans out. Theres several videos. If you get my drift.....I'm hoping you'll go up there and come back and share a report....before I go. Lol

In all seriousness, your idea to go up to Nome probably would be better. I've tried several of these State recreational sites and..??? I'm either doing something wrong or theres just little around. But, getting around and seeing a lot of Alaska I've not seen in my 40 years up here. Was a fisherman myself.

In fact I'm about ready to head-up to a spot on the Steese before freeze-up. Problem is, DNR has this special map that I can't get my hands on unless I stop by physically and pick one up. There's other claims around and one of my biggest rules is NOT to stumble onto someones claim if I can help it. When there's other claims around my best tool at hand is using
Alaska Mapper. And that's a bit intimidating but it helps me to see where those claims are. Anyway....kinda wandering off topic.

I ran across that Brooks Range outfits website, earlier this spring. That might be an OK place, to. It's quite a wase up past Fairbanks but I don't believe they would advertise ground that is worthless. Kinda got me thinking to check that out again myself. Anyway..

Good Luck detecting.