Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where to go

laplander

Administrator
Staff member
If you had a new Equinox in your hands right now where would you go detecting :detecting:
and what mode{s} would you use
Based on what we know {From the Minelab release only}

I'll go first
I have a fair site in the UK Where loads of tiny hammered silvers and Celtic golds have been found.
High frequency prospecting of course.

The the places that in the past gave up huge amounts of coins to my E-Trac and CTX. These places are also typically full of trash. I'd want to see if it can pull more than the others couldn't. I'd be trying every mode. The low singles for silvers, the high singles for gold and the multi just to see how it compares on targets. I'd also want to take it to some new ground, like a nice old curbstrip where I could hunt and mark targets with both the EQ and CTX and see if one can find targets the other cant.

My 1793 field.. It has given up so much that now I can barely get anything out of it. The farmer doesn't seem to have plans to plow it any time soon, so I need to try hitting it with something else

Jason in Enid said:
The the places that in the past gave up huge amounts of coins to my E-Trac and CTX. These places are also typically full of trash. I'd want to see if it can pull more than the others couldn't. I'd be trying every mode. The low singles for silvers, the high singles for gold and the multi just to see how it compares on targets. I'd also want to take it to some new ground, like a nice old curbstrip where I could hunt and mark targets with both the EQ and CTX and see if one can find targets the other cant.

Good answer. I too always like to take a new mouse-trap to parks that used to give up silver back in the 1980s, yet are stingy now. Always dreaming of how ... when the transition from TR disc. to VLF/GEB disc. occurred (1978 to 1980-ish), the first guys to wise up to the benefits harvested a lot of silver.

But to answer the OP's question: It depends on what its capable of. Is it a good park turf machine like Jason hopes for ? Is it a good iron-see-through machine for ghost-townsy sites ? Is it a good wet-salt beach machine ? etc........ So far , on the few cryptic videos put out, I haven't seen anything that current machines can't replicate. But who knows ? Has to be tested in the Monte-nail board test, for example. And if it passes, increase the nail sizes, too see how far it can be pushed while still getting hint of conductive, etc...

As for parks, I'd take it to a few parks I know of that can still produce an occasional silver or wheatie to my Explorer. I'd flag a suspected deep silver or wheatie type signal. Then try the new machine. Does it pick it up with "room to spare" ? Is it differentiated from all the signals I'd choose to reject around it ? Etc....

laplander said:
I'll go first
I have a fair site in the UK Where loads of tiny hammered silvers and Celtic golds have been found.
High frequency prospecting of course.
Hmmmm! I wonder where that could be? What's up, Doc! Ole' Bug's LOVES his carrots!!!:rofl:

Iowa Dale
PS: Can't wait to try the OX!

I have one in Grainger County, Tennessee that I first searched with a Fisher 1220-X about...........1986 maybe?

Since then I (and several others) have hit it with different makes and machines running different frequencies (Fishers, Shadow X-5, Whites, Explorer, Sovereign, F-75).

Each revealed interesting observations. For example, while using the Fisher X-series detectors, we dug a lot of lead and buttons, and larger brass, but when the Shadow X-5 (higher frequency machine) hit it years later, it turned up numerous small percussion caps. Followed that up years later with a newer technology machine and found six eagle cuff buttons that several different machines and hunters had missed.

So, my suggestion would be take it to a place you and others have beaten to death with a variety of machines, and see what happens.