Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where would you look?

togamac

I've received permission to detect on an 1890's home site. There is an old dam on the site that once held back about a one acre pond. I'm thinking it had to be the local swimming hole at one time. Kids being kids, they probably skinny dipped, had a rope swing, jumped in from the dam, etc. The whole area is now grown in. I'm thinking of going into what was once the pond with my 5x8 on the AT Pro and also doing the top of what is left of the dam. What would you do?

I'd set my detector up on high disc and cherry pick the whole place first and then I'd go back to the spots that produced the best and oldest finds and set my disc down about 1/2 way and grid off small sections at a time until I cleaned that area out. Once you find your hot spots really slow down and take your time. Love to hear how this turns out for you, wish I was there to enjoy the hunt with you.

Keep in mind on the pond, kids didn't have much money back then nor most likely wore any jewelry. Any kind of water, though, was a good spot for picnics and gatherings. I would start with the sides of the driveway and work the sides out and go from there. Good luck! HH jim tn

Yeah, true about not having much money. I'm hoping that a penny fell out of their pocket when they changed clothes prior to jumping in!

Any old trees on that old home site ? That's definitely where I would start. I'd pick the oldest looking tree first and scan a perimeter of about 10 feet around it before detecting anywhere else. Then I'd detect around the foundations or the home itself if it's still standing.
Good luck. Looks like fun times ahead.

Good advice Mike. We think alike. I did spend my first hour there around a big old maple near the house where I figured the family would have had a picnic table. Came up with one Rosey from the 50's and a token for Professor Johnson's Polish Starch dated 1852 but was really hoping for more. As I started out from the tree towards the driveway, I started hitting crushed stone down 3 inches. Turns out a recent owner added it to allow trucks to bring fill in from a nearby construction site. Dang! The house is still there but only about a 15 foot section of the original foundation. Did that section but came up empty. The pond is my last hope.