Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

which 2nd coil to get?

jld66

i recently bought a vaquero for my first detector. even though the stock coil it comes with works great. i am interested in a bit bigger coil for open fields. so, my question is, which one would be a better choice? the tesoro 12x10 widescan or the 12x10 SEF. i realize the tesoro will come with a lifetime warranty. the SEF is not made by tesoro and imagine will not. if anyone uses a SEF with a vaquero, is it a bit noisey like i have heard.
thanks.

I have used the Tesoro 10X12 coil on my Vaq and I love it.
For hunting large areas and covering ground efficiently it works better than good.
I never get the feeling I am missing much at all when I use it.
Depth is great and sensitivity is not quite as good as when using the small snipers which seem to pick up the micro stuff better, but for normal sized coin and jewelry targets it has no problems.

Last fall at a special site our club was hunting this set up found me my best and oldest coin ever in an area that I saw at least 5 other club members search with all different kinds of detectors and coils.
This beautiful 1865 2 cent coin that came in loud and clear and solid as as any coin I have ever found...I have no clue how the others missed it but I don't think most of them were using DD coils.

Another time near the end of a long hunt with not much great to show for it except some modern clad I was in a park literally running around swinging so fast and wide you would have laughed at me, but I was looking for just one more "Hail Mary" good signal so I could go home with something great and luckily it happened.
Due to to speed of the Vaq and that wide coil I did hear a quick solid tone even at that to fast swing speed and stopped and went back to examine this signal further.
In the same hole as a beaver tail tab was also this nice 14k woman's wedding ring and even at melt that ring paid for the coil easily.

The only thing I don't like about this coil is when using concentrics those high tone pop tops will usually disc out and I can avoid most of them with confidence, but using DD's they usually come in and mimic dimes and quarters a little too well but I deal with it if I happen across an area with lots of these.

Not sure how the SEF coil would differ, but in my good soil here in Kansas I couldn't ask any more of the Tesoro coil than it already delivers.

I get very little noise and no more noise using this coil than the standard or 5" concentrics that I also own probably due to the sensitivity and ground balance adjustment ability on the Vaq.

thanks, revier. the tesoro coil is the one i am leaning towards. just wanted to get another opinion. i have only been doing this for 3 weeks. my only old coin i found is a 1808 large cent. it is in pretty bad shape but, can see all the markings on it. beginners luck i guess. i'm up here in maine. there are some old farms around i will be able to check out. again, thank you for the advice. good luck!

I have a Vaquero and a 10x12 SEF. I posted a few times on using them together over the last 6 months. You might want to search under my name (homebre) or the coil. I use that as my primary coil now when I hunt open areas. My only complaint is that I have a hard time ground balancing with it as you get close to the ground on the down swing, the tone drops out. However, that said, I have found a lot of good finds with it. I tend to just set my ground balance where I normally set it and not worry. The coil/Vaquero combination does seem to like iron!

homebre from Hillsborough

I have used three different 12x10 SEF coils. I have one for my Sovereign Gt as well as one for my umax machine Sidewinder ,bandido and others but the 12x10 for my Modded Cibola is the only one I have returned for a refund. I feel the Tesoro coil is the way to go on this.The V is not a modded C but it's very close in operation and performance.Congrats on the large cent and HH.

I switched out the stock coil last fall and have been running the Tesoro 5x10 DD wide scan and I really like it for its light weight, target separation, no spokes to get caught in brush, and I can stick that toe of the coil into tight spots around rocks and tree trunks. I have the best of both worlds with a larger foot print than stock and I am able to get into tight spots as well.
It is nice to have so many coil options with the Vaquero.

Minas man