Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which AT machine for the beach!

Fresh water or salt? The Gold is not recommended for salt water. The Pro works well in some salt water areas and the MAX has an expanded range discrimination range to deal with highly mineralized soil.

MAX - https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_max_video_pt3_en.aspx

Pro - https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_saltwater_video_en.aspx

NONE DON'T GET FOOLED BY FAKE REVIEWS, GET A GET A PI DETECTOR AND BE DONE WITH IT.......... 40+++++ years detecting I KNOW WHAT I' TALKING ABOUT.
My AT MAX work's great in fresh water so does my AT PRO. SALT WATER is another thing....... I don't care what you see in FAKE REVIEWS.

At max for saltwater will require so tweaking of your settings, from some of the videos I've seen it is doable. I haven't tried mine on a saltwater beach yet, but I am going to in a couple of weeks. I also have a pi Tesoro it works really well in saltwater (no discrimination). I usually dig all signals anyway. Sometimes we just have see for ourselves. Especially if you already own the machine. Although I think the At max may still have some chatter going on in saltwater. Even after playing with the settings. To each his own. Probably no worse than the constant hum of threshold.

At max for saltwater will require some tweaking of your settings, from some of the videos I've seen it is doable. I haven't tried mine on a saltwater beach yet, but I am going to in a couple of weeks. I also have a pi Tesoro it works really well in saltwater (no discrimination). I usually dig all signals anyway. Sometimes we just have see for ourselves. Especially if you already own the machine. Although I think the At max may still have some chatter going on in saltwater. Even after playing with the settings. To each his own. Probably no worse than the constant him of threshold.

The AT series, like any other single frequency machine, will disappoint you in salt water. You can try to force it to operate in wet salt sand, but its performance will be lagging. That's just not their environment and I wish companies would stop trying to tell us otherwise.

Fresh water is a whole different story. The AT series shines in fresh water environments.

For salt, you either need a mutli-frequency detector or a PI. Period.

Sorry for the double post. I thought I was editing it. Instead it posted a new one. How do I get rid of the 1st post ? I don't have unreal expectations for the At Max in saltwater, as I bought it mainly for freshwater and land use. I have 2 other machines for saltwater and the beach. So i May be a little disappointed if it isnt useable but I am going to the beach anyway. So I will be giving it a try. Also will be using my pi and fbs detectors.

So I tried at max at a saltwater beach. As soon as I hit the wet sand the machine had a lot of falsing and chatter. I did not buy this machine for saltwater and therefore am not disappointed. Glad I brought my safari which is multi frequency machine. As well as my Tesoro sand shark which is a pi designed for saltwater. Anybody buying the At Max just for saltwater beaches should be aware that it may just perform very erratically in saltwater areas. I have used the max in the woods and a cornfield and these places are where this machine is great, can't wait to go to freshwater swimming holes. "I did not try to tweak the machine to see if I could get it to do what it is probably not designed to do" (saltwater beaches) Hope this helps.

My Pro is a killer for me on dry sand. Target separation, iron audio, and go slow enough you'll get depth. Now fer getting into the salt water, I agree with tarajudy. Pulse Induction. Learn your machine, listen to it.

The "AT Max" is the best of the two (AT Pro) in and around saltwater. It's 'quieter and more stable, less falling'

(of course the other guys are spot on advising BEST saltwater operation is by way of PI or Multi Frequency)

I was lucky enough to have been allowed Field Test both AT Max & AT Pro - there is a saltwater beach video on YouTube that I did last year (and a few others in noisy iron etc),
- if you type DesDunne1 into YouTube and look for "AT MAX at some Ocean beaches"

Good Hunting

Des D