Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which brands and models?

Joe Patrick

So, which brands and models do we discuss?

Here is a partial list of analog target ID metal detectors that I can think of and remember. Please feel free to add to the list.

Bounty Hunter (original Teknetics):
Big Bud series

Compass:
X70-X200 series
Coin Scanner series

Fisher:
CZ series

Garrett:
ADS 7 (5 & 6 ??)
Master Hunter CX series (I also thought the CX Plus model was interesting with its simulated analog lcd digital meter)

Minelab Sovereign:
With add-on Patriot meter

Teknetics:
Mark I
Mark I LTD
Eagle
8500 series

Tesoro:
Toltec II
Toltec 100
Toltec 80

White's:
6000 series
5900 series
Liberty DI

What about such detectors that have meters, but are not truly target ID meters? Such as the Arado 120/130's or the C-Scope 1220, etc? Am I correct in assuming that ONLY analog-metered detectors will be discussed here and non-metered analog detecors will not?

Let's kick some ideas around to see what we come up with. :clapping:

Joe

The original idea for this forum was from the Whites forum, and they wanted to talk about White

Mr.Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The original idea for this forum was from the
> Whites forum, and they wanted to talk about
> White

I say we stick to the 5900, 6000 and XL Pro series. Quite frankly, if you ever used one of these models, you know they are among the best discriminating detectors every made. Bar NONE! And, if you owned one, you probalby still have it or wish you did! When I learned that Whites was discontinuing the XL Pro, I went right out and made sure I had an ample supply to keep me going.

Anyway, what I would like to learn from this forum is how others use their detectors. Any special set ups that they have discovered works well in their areas? Or maybe a discussion on the fluctuations of the meter needle for certain targets. In other words, has anyone ever dug a "good target" when the needle makes that "ever so slight" deflection to the left? Even when it initially seems to have locked on in the gold range? Most of us pass them by when we see that needle nod to the left. But could it be that we are passing up some good stuff? Those are the types of questions I would like to see discussed in this forum. Thanks for offering the platform to do so. HH Randy

Here are some tips I wrote a few years ago. They were for the Di Pro SL but nothing has changed in the XL pro except she's slimmer and purdier now.

Mike aka crazyman

http://66.51.97.78/jb/6dipro.html

Anyone who follows the Fisher forums knows there is a lasting interest in analog CZ`s.Old Technetics have a strong following and one sees interest crop up on various forums about the others too.There are indeed plenty of forums on Findmall for modern machines.However, if this forum is limited only to a few closely related White`s detectors and excludes all other analog metered machines then I can`t see it haveing a good following.These could have been covered on the general Whites forum in that case.That there should be some confusion is understandable as was the case about the MXT.I`d love to talk about old Whites detectors but not JUST old Whites detectors.

I have that site in my favorites and ironically, my brother and I were just discussing it this past weekend. I appreciate your posts and the information you share with others. But, I still would like to know, when the meter is (for all intents and purposes) locked on a coin target, and the sound is steady and consistent, what does that ever so slight "dip" to the left mean when you sweep over the target? It only does it from one direction, and usually when the coils passes from right to left. I have to be honest and tell you that I have never dug anything of value when that happens. And, the past several months, I have just passed them by. Am I making a big mistake in doing so? HH Randy

you would know that it is open to other detectors with analog meters. He specifically said:

"The original idea for this forum was from the Whites forum, and they wanted to talk about White

now of the opinion that this forum is for Whites 5900, 6000 and XL Pro series detectors. At least this is what it sounded like from his last post. Also, there is a separate forum for Fisher CZ units already. When I saw this forum initially proposed on the Whites Main Forum, it seemed to be assumed to include only those "target id" models mentioned above. Perhaps a name change is in order to quell the confusion.

OldeTymer

You may be correct. Regardless, I think that this will be a good "home" for those of us using the Whites models mentioned. I look forward to sharing ideas with others that understand just how well these detectors perform. HH Randy

Randy, at what coin range does this commonly occur = nickle, dime, penny, quarter and at what depths? Also what type of junk do these targets tend to be, rusty nails, bits of aluminum? To tell you the truth at depths down to 6 1/2 inches even in our hot soil in Western Washington I rarely get a solid lock on in the high coin range with a good tone that turns out to be junk. I get fooled by rusty washers from time to time. I size all targets before digging though. I haven't dug a pop can in many years.

Digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> snip... I think that this
> will be a good "home" for those of us using the
> Whites models mentioned. I look forward to
> sharing ideas with others that understand just how
> well these detectors perform. HH Randy

I agree. I hope this settles down to just those Whites units mentioned. (5900, 6000 and XL Pro series) Perhaps a more appropriate forum name would be "Whites 5900, 6000 and XL Pro Forum", or something along that line. It's been so long since I used these units, I really don't remember the fine points, but they were always my favorites since starting in this hobby. Hopefully, we can all learn (again) together.

OldeTymer

Mr. Bill, You might be right about which 'tectors' viewers want to read about, and the White's brand was the brand discussed on another forum. The question is this: can we learn about white's while still reading about other brands? I use a XLPRO but I would like to read about other types of 'analog' machines and how they compare to the whites units. One brand may provide better performance in certain areas than another brand. I dont' want to count out other brands because they are not White's.