Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which coil do you like better on the V3i, the D2 or Eclipse 950?

Altamaha

Hi all;

I own both the Stock D2 coil & the Eclipse 950. After using the D2 for some time and then trying the Eclipse 950, I found pinpointing a lot easier for me. I also think that the TID numbers are a little more stable. Just wondering what your experience has been with the two coils?

Thanks.

I prefer the D2. Depending, I use the D2 or White 10x12 SEF. I sold my 950 and got a 12" to use at the beach it depends a lot on your soil.

Better? If it means what I use most.....D2 for sure. (Sticking to it blindly would be like insisting on using the "family car" to run in the dunes though.) Like Rob inferred....use what your soil and types of hunting require. All I can say is Whites and others still offer concentics for very real reasons.......would NEVER be without a full compliment of concentric coils myself.

From what I read, the concentrics operate better when the soil mineralization is low (less than 10% as measured with the Ground Probe) and the DD coils work better in medium to high mineralized soils.

Also The 950 is a larger coil , But The D2 will cover more ground than the 950 because of the DD design.

I'm confused the 9.5" 950 is larger than the 10" D2? By the way the new 9" coilis really the same 950 coil in a different housing.

I have noticed that concentric and smaller coil more sensitive with low conductivity targets. Although it is a bit hard to work in a ground with high deposits in iron. 9.50 Concentric can do a better work with jewelry and surface targets and it is more stable at the beach.

Howdy Altamaha--

When relic hunting I usually use the D2. Although I have had success with the 9.5, the 12" and 14" DD. When hunting city vacant lots or home sights either the 4X6 or the 6X10, depending on trash density, will be my choice. They are all good coils and depending on the soil conditions, settings, and hunting goals, each has its place in my "tool box". Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

If your soil is mild, the concentric 950 is going to offer superior performance. If your soil is more mineralized I would use the D2 all day.

I spend more time on the Findmall White's Forum and MXT Forum, but get over here occasionally. I don't use the V3i, but I do put some battery run-time on my VX3, its little brother, and I use an assortment of search coils. Like any avid detectorist who puts in ample field time, and hunts a variety of different types of sites, we can all form our personal opinions and settle on our favorite coils choices, based upon the result we get. Thus, I'll share my opinions, based on experience with all the related coils for these models, having used all of them on all of the models that share them.

Altamaha said:
I own both the Stock D2 coil & the Eclipse 950.
Since we are talking about these two specific coils and close coil sizes, I am going to add my opinions about the new 9" Spider coil. I know many have asked me and e-mailed me for my thoughts on this new coil, and it has its place in my search coil arsenal. My initial experiences with the 10" D2 coil started when it came out with the Vision, that became the Spectra V3.

I used it on that and on the V3 and V3i, but I also compared it side-by-side with the 950 search coil hunting a few good renovation sites that I had gained permission to hunt. I also used the10" DD on my M6 and MXT Pro, and while it worked, I had better success with the 950, and overall better performance from my favorite search coil, the 6