Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Coil Is Best For Me? :confused:

Mat in MA

[size=large]I'm looking for some serious help here as I really don't know which coil to buy. Both coils look good, and both seem to do the same job (unless you can point out otherwise) but I can only afford one of them. The areas that I go to are not that trashy and don't have a lot of junk in them.

I'm tossed up as to which coil to get for my MXT. Either the Eclipse 5.3 (6x6) or the Eclipse DD (6x10).

I do general detecting in schools, playgrounds, tot lots, fields, etc.

I also detect at beaches, both salt and fresh water. Wet and dry sand detecting in both places as well.

Thanks for your help in advance and Happy Hunting!!!

[/size]

I would go with the 5.3. When I tested them the 5.3 was deeper than the 6" x 10" and the 5.3 would separate better in trashy areas. If I needed a bigger coil, I would go with the 10" DD because it's really deep an still separates better than the 6" x 10". IMHO After my tests I sold my 6" x 10". Hope this helps you out.

There both real good coils and in my area get about the same depth :thumbup:but if there is not a lot of trash the 6X10DD will cover more ground and give good results in more minralized ground and still get good depth over all. If it were me, I would get the 6X10DD due to the trash being minimal in your hunting areas ( also for what its worth the 6X10DD still does pretty good in trash too). I pinpoint to center then off the tip with my 6X10DD on my MXT. I find this method to work well.

Happy & Safe Hunting To All,:detecting:
Bill G

JohninNC said:
I would go with the 5.3. When I tested them the 5.3 was deeper than the 6" x 10" and the 5.3 would separate better in trashy areas. If I needed a bigger coil, I would go with the 10" DD because it's really deep an still separates better than the 6" x 10". IMHO After my tests I sold my 6" x 10". Hope this helps you out.

You have a great point about the new 10"DD especially if there is not a lot of trash in the area as suggested in the original post.

Happy & Safe Hunting To All,:detecting:
Bill G

I like the 6x10 for normal hunting and 4x6 for trashey areas., I think you should start off that way and get a smaller coil later. I have a 4x6 that i like a lot .good luck.

A lot of it depends on where you detect. Most of my detecting is in highly mineralized soil in CA and AZ. I don't like the 10"DD at all. If not much trash then I'd take the 6x10 for coverage over the 5.3 Eclipse except in trashy areas. I much prefer the 950 coil over the 10DD and the 6x9 Eclipse where trash isn't a problem.

Mat in MA said:
[size=medium]I'm looking for some serious help here as I really don't know which coil to buy. Both coils look good, and both seem to do the same job (unless you can point out otherwise) but I can only afford one of them.[/size]
If you can only afford ONE extra coil, by personal suggestion is always get a versatile, all-purpose, smaller-than-stock coil. It will depend upon the types of sites you usually hunt and the types of targets you're after, as well as the amount of trash associated with those types of sites.

I will tell you that while both of these are generally smaller-than-stock for the MXT, they do NOT "do the same job."

Mat in MA said:
[size=medium]The areas that I go to are not that trashy and don't have a lot of junk in them.[/size]
If the areas are not that trashy AND they don't have a lot of junk in them ( :confused: ) then you could stick with the stock 950 coil. That's a coil I use when working a site that is pretty much target-free.

My question is this: Are you sure they lack any unwanted junk? Have you hunted the sites with the Disc. control set at '0' to verify there are no ferrous junk targets present?

Mat in MA said:
[size=medium]I'm tossed up as to which coil to get for my MXT. Either the Eclipse 5.3 (6x6) or the Eclipse DD (6x10).[/size]
The 5.3 Eclipse coil, which measures about 6