Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which coil is preferred for beach hunting with Explorer II

I have a Minelab Explorer II and was wondering which coil will go deeper and is more stable for beach hunting in dry or wet sand. The Coiltek 15" WOT coil, the Platypus coil, or the Joey coil? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

The Joey is not fully waterproof so I would steer clear using that on the beach when waves can get you. The WOT is used by a lot of hunters with great success - I have one for my Explorer and two for my Sovereigns which are my primary beach detectors on the ocean beaches . . . you can cover a lot of ground with the WOT and coverage is the key when you have miles of sand to cover. I have a Platypus coil but have not used it much on the ocean beaches . . . .

Hello Andy,
Thanks for such a quick reply. I have a couple of your books and I would like to tell you that they are very informative for both the beginner and advanced detectorist. I have programmed some of your reccommended settings into my Explorer and find them very useful and have had alot of luck finding some nice things. I had the pleasure of meeting a friend of yours while on business in New Jersey, Joe DeMarco of DeMarco Detector Sales who I also did business with am I am very pleased with the transaction and have recommended others to him. I haven't tried my Explorer on the beach yet but am looking forward to it.
Once again thanks for taking the time to reply.
Joe

My main detector is now the E-Trac but I have an explorer 2 setup with a WOT coil that I use only for the beach. The explorer and the WOT are a killer beach combination if you can handle the weight. This combo sucks up targets like a vacuum cleaner. I use to have a Sunray 12.5 coil that did very well too and it was very light compared to the WOT.

The name of the game at the beach is coverage. I'd say go with the 15" WOT coil.

HH randy

But what about using the standard coil that comes with the EXP II. I don't have a beach around here but I will be going to one in August. I hope the coil that comes with it is just as good. Any tips on what to set it to for the beach. This will be a beach in Nagshead NC.

Thanks!

Lori..sounds like you also need to be choosing a sand scoop of some kind if you are going to the beach. There's lots of posts on the Beach and Water section of this forum about scoops. There's lots of genuine debate about what is best. However, it won't take long to choose one from out of the 2-3 top ones mentioned. If you are traveling airline, no mater what scoop you finally get, consider a two piece as it's be a lot easier to pack. Jim

I used to live in Florida, so I have 2 scoops!!!! But I didn't have the EXP then :)

grumpyolman said:
Lori..sounds like you also need to be choosing a sand scoop of some kind if you are going to the beach. There's lots of posts on the Beach and Water section of this forum about scoops. There's lots of genuine debate about what is best. However, it won't take long to choose one from out of the 2-3 top ones mentioned. If you are traveling airline, no mater what scoop you finally get, consider a two piece as it's be a lot easier to pack. Jim

I live in south Texas about 5 miles from the gulf beach. I love the Wot coil, if you want to dig really deep targets the Wot is the way to go. It's harder to pin point targets with the Wot for me, it will read a hot wheels car 20" in the soft sand, and beer cans that you need a back hole to dig. It is a heavy coil get a Doc's swingy thing. Scoops the 6" to 8" long handles, I find to work good. I given away one little 4" scoop bent handle scoop. Be sure and get one with a long handle, I see guys with those ice scoops looking things bending over and getting on there hands and knees to dig, that's not for me. Good Luck Sand digging.