Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which coil should I buy, 10" concentric or 11" DD Fisher for my Discovery 3300

kydigger

I live in northern Ky. We have no problem here with mineralization. Its mostly limestone and top soil. I want to buy a bigger coil for farm fields ect. I've done a lot of reading on the net but still not sure which coil would be best. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi kydigger,i have just been discussing the topic of dd versus concentric on another forum.Most people these days favour dd coils over concentrics for one reason or another.....mainly for their ability to cope with minerals better.However,i have a test bed in my back garden where i have buried a medieval hammered coin in some really bad soil.The soil is contaminated with all sorts of rubbish including bits of iron.....the type of soil where a dd is supposed to hold all the advantages over a concentric.I have tested 4 detectors so far on this target and to date only one machine has picked up the target clearly and this machine is equipped with a concentric coil.The coin is buried at 6" and is lying flat so under normal soil conditions most detectors would pick up the target.I think this goes to show that the debate of dd versus concentric is more complicated than most people think and that concentric coils definately have their place.

They only cope with minerals better as they are seeing less of the ground. Most also lack sensitivity compared to a similar sized concentric so you don't get the good results you might expect.
Get a good machine and fit a concentric and they are a pleasure to use. I can use my old XLT with the discrimination wide open to maximise depth and still dig less iron than with other D.D. coiled machines using iron rejection.

The machine that did find the coin wasn't a Nautilus was it ?

I would go for the the slightly smaller concentric as you haven't got mineralisation problems. They were suggestions from one U.S. dealer that with any coil size change you should have the coil calibrated to the detector. I can't see the thinking behind this apart from parting you from more money as the G.B. control will take care of that.

Hi Brian,it was a nautilus....are you suprised.I was surprised considering how much i read on how bad the nauti does in bad soil.Not only did the nauti pick up the target it still did when i raised the coil about three inches off the ground.Can you explain why this is happening...i do not understand why my gt will not pick up the target....it may be down to the fact there is a number of iron bits in the area.
I've read a few depth tests on different sites which have included the nauti and in some of these the nauti does not come out too well.All the tests i have performed lead me to one conclusion.....some testers can't set the machine up properley.What do you think??