Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Coil Would You Keep...

HighPlainsHunter

Which of the following two coils would you keep for general park/yard coin and jewelry hunting with an X-Terra 705, and why?

1, 9" Round medium frequency concentric.

2. 5x10 Elliptical high frequency DD.

This would be in addition to having the 9" high frequency round concentric.

Thanks for your thoughts...

I would keep the 7.5kHz coil for it's honesty.

Stock coil for sure! I seem to find way more silver coins with the stock 7.5 cc and especially the 3kHz cc 9inch. These are my two goto coils favoring the 3kHz when I'm in the woods. I don't have anywhere near the same luck with the HF coils that I do with the other two I use. I honestly have never found silver with the HF coils. With the 7.5 cc and the HF DD coil I tend to find a lot of older shield, v and buffalo nickles but they always come out toasted so I don't care if I find them or not. So if I was park hunting, which I seldom do, I would definitely start out with the stock 7.5 9in cc. Hope this helps. Everyone has an opinion and we learn from each others! HH All

Emmett:usaflag:

I appreciate the feedback, and this confirms my feelings as well. I think I'm going to sell the 705 gold with the 18.75kHz elliptical, and keep the two 9" coils for the 305. I was initially thinking of selling the 705 with the 9" MF coil, but hated to let that coil go.

Again, thanks for the input, it's helped a lot...

HighPlainsHunter said:
Which of the following two coils would you keep for general park/yard coin and jewelry hunting with an X-Terra 705, and why?

1, 9" Round medium frequency concentric.

2. 5x10 Elliptical high frequency DD.

This would be in addition to having the 9" high frequency round concentric.

Thanks for your thoughts...

5x10 is my favorite xterra coil. Its got the best seperation of all Ive tried.....and it has very good depth.
My second favorite is the 9" med freq...

Id get rid of the 9" hi freq coil.

I have limited experience with the 705 but with all other detectors I have always preferred elliptical shape coils to round. Separation has always been better for me. If your parks are not too trashy, this might be a non issue. Also I favor DD coils in my soil.

As Neil mentioned I think I'd get rid of the round high frequency coil.

I want to clarify my first post a bit.

Otto only gave us the option of the two coils for his own reasons. It could be that he does some wading, in which case the elliptical is an obvious one to off, as it isn't waterproof. It could also be that in his soil conditions he's found that the HF CC gets better depth as well as virtually having the same coverage capability as the elliptical. Who knows what the reasons are? It really doesn't matter.

Personally, I like the flexibility of having more than one frequency, as well as the honesty of the 7.5kHz coils that I already mentioned (which has to do with bin segment assignments). I like DD coils better in my soil conditions, and for the separation in heavy trash areas, but I have little use for an elliptical that is depth limited by it's width while having very little advantage separating due to it's length heel-to-toe over the 10.5" round DD.
In addition, my HF coils are the ones that see the least use. In my ground, and for the targets that I'm after, the MF & LF coils are my preference, and the HF's really only see use at the beach where I'm going to dig most everything anyway.

JMHO, and worth what you paid for it.

Just courious why would you get rid of the 705 and keep the 305. The 705 dose so much more.

Ok that makes sense I know what you mean because I constantly keep going back and studying my manual on my XTerra 70 infact tonight I am making some cheat sheets that I will laminate and keep in my MD carry pouch so I have it on hand . Seems like every time Iook at the manual I find something different. I guess simple is sometimes bettter.

I sometimes use my xterra70 with 8x10 DD on the 10 beaches I have neare me in the prospecting mode with the sensitivity crainked way up for deeper penetrating.
In the prospecting mode it will still pick up coins but with no tone separation so I have to dig everything.

Doug

Donut said:
Ok that makes sense I know what you mean because I constantly keep going back and studying my manual on my XTerra 70 infact tonight I am making some cheat sheets that I will laminate and keep in my MD carry pouch so I have it on hand . Seems like every time Iook at the manual I find something different. I guess simple is sometimes bettter.

I sometimes use my xterra70 with 8x10 DD on the 10 beaches I have neare me in the prospecting mode with the sensitivity crainked way up for deeper penetrating.
In the prospecting mode it will still pick up coins but with no tone separation so I have to dig everything.

Doug

Everything but iron. The iron mask works very well in prospecting mode.