Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which detector still being manufactured, that is a discriminator, will equal or exceed a Shadow X5?

Neil

Specifically interested in one that will hit small gold in the ground...not air test...
My X5 hits earrings like no other Ive seen but Ive not tried anything new in the last 5 plus years.
Thanks in advance for your response.

Neil said:
Specifically interested in one that will hit small gold in the ground...not air test...
My X5 hits earrings like no other Ive seen but Ive not tried anything new in the last 5 plus years.
Thanks in advance for your response.

You have a good unit in the T2 if you use the 5" coil.
Good alternative I have found was the DeepTech Vista Gold using the Super 6 search coil.

My vote would also go for the T2 with the 5'' coil on it,mine is just a original green T2 from 2006/7 and that has a 5'' coil on it almost all the time,deadly on small gold coins and pretty amazing depth for such a small coil,one of my all time favourite combinations,one other machine that i have also been using is a Compadre with a 4'' coil on it,that i use mainly for hunting micro gold jewellery....it looks like a detector you would give too a child but it is deadly once again on gold especially with that 4'' coil on.

The Shadow X5 was one of the best I have used and wish I had mine back again. The one that I felt was almost as good was the Tejon on Tesoro and worked great, but it wasn't waterproof like the X5 was. I had tried the older T-2 also and for relic hunting it was great, but not for a coin shooter like I was, the F75 of Fisher worked better for me for coin hunting.

Rick

In my humble opinion the new Minelab Equinos 600 will easily beat out the shadow X5.

I bought a new Shadow X2 from Troy at a club hunt in Michigan when they first came out.
He gave an informal talk there explaining the technical details of his new circuit designs.
Have owned and used every model Troy detector.
For their time they were very technically advanced and Tesoro wasted no time in adopting Troy's new ideas into their detectors.
The Troy Shadow series will always be what they were then ... sensitive, responsive, easy to use, and lightweight.
However, progress is made and things improve so there are now detectors that exceed the specs and user features of the Troy X series detectors.
The Equinox, is one of them

Xp goldmax power would be worth a bash........very sensitive to the smallest bits of non ferous including gold.

Nauti Neil said:
Xp goldmax power would be worth a bash........very sensitive to the smallest bits of non ferous including gold.

Neil,not 100% sure but i dont think the GoldMax power was sold in the US i think it was because of the on board wireless headphone setup or something like did not comply with the regulations for some reason.So was not on general sale,of course a few got through the net and brought is by some folks.

But i agree with you until the Deus came along,the Goldmaz Power was the most popular detector here at one time and often called the 'Hammy Hoover' because it loved our silver hammered coins,and found some of the greatest find ever,one of the greatest machine the UK detectorist has seen,this is not only my opinion but also going by the huge amount of folks that used them and still do.But then the Deus finally too that crown and still hold it for the most part.

Hi Mega,
I live in England too......i was'nt aware that the power had problems with regulations over the pond.Thats a shame as it provides the same sort of performance as the deus but with traditional knobs and switches for those who don't like screens and programs......me included.
I think the deus became more popular because it was the latest tech ie completely wireless,screen,programs etc,etc and not because it will outperform the goldmax on an ancient site.....it is also more versatile.On an ancient site though,somebody who is good with the goldmax will keep up with somebody with a deus all day long,without all the adjustments and programs.

Nauti Neil said:
Hi Mega,
I live in England too......i was'nt aware that the power had problems with regulations over the pond.Thats a shame as it provides the same sort of performance as the deus but with traditional knobs and switches for those who don't like screens and programs......me included.
I think the deus became more popular because it was the latest tech ie completely wireless,screen,programs etc,etc and not because it will outperform the goldmax on an ancient site.....it is also more versatile.On an ancient site though,somebody who is good with the goldmax will keep up with somebody with a deus all day long,without all the adjustments and programs.

Neil,the GMP was a stunning outfit,but although the Deus was alot more expensive especially when run freq for freq,but the Deus had so much more too offer,the additional freq etc,i did use a GMP but the Deus just suited my style of detecting.Its my main everyday machine and i also have another complete backup one if i am away on a weekend rally etc.

Do have other machines that i use for mainly site specific use,like a couple of Nexus machine,TDI Pro and many others,but the main 2 machines that i use are the Deus and T2.

It was the XP Gold MAXX, before the Power version came about, and performance wise I really had some fun using the XP GM. I liked the Iron Volume adjustment, and since I mainly spend my time working densely littered old sites that abound in ferrous debris, it provided a lot of opportunity for it to show me any unmasking ability, and many of the targets I was encountering were small metal buttons, an occasional small and thin silver Half-Dime, and other targets of interest.

The main issue I had with that new device was the poor fit of the upper rod and middle rod that became kind of loose and sloppy and suggested it might lack durability for extensive use. Otherwise, I generally liked the overall performance. However, I only had it for a few weeks to evaluate then had to return it to the detector dealer/distributor who asked me to check it out because it was a product that didn't pass certain FCC requirements, thus couldn't be imported to the USA.

At the time, the XP Gold Maxx and my modified White's IDX Pro were working quite well together at many different old sites I hunted in my travels in five western US states. That was an enjoyable month of detecting with ample opportunities to get to know what the Gold Maxx offered in performance. I followed the web and kept up on how people over your direction were doing with that model, and others from XP, and then the Gold Maxx Power. Made me wish I had one. I didn't, and still don't, care that much for the XP Deus because I don't like the multiple rechargeable battery system, I don't like the audio for my impaired hearing, and as you mentioned, I still much prefer manual knob adjustment whenever possible.

Monte

Monte, the Whites 5900/6000 series and the Mr. Bill modded IDX Pro's were my main detectors for many years. The modded IDX Pro with the small coil in the picture I bought from you some years back and the other I bought from Mr. Bill. Like you I preferred buttons on my detectors as opposed to menus which is why I never got along with the XLT. With that being said, I have become a big fan of the XP Deus in my ground here in the Pacific N.W. for hunting old logging camps and ghost towns. We are never to old to change I guess.

7agweBk.jpg

I have 'changed' by having and using newer/current models that appeal to me with the Nokta CoRe, Relic and Impact, Makro Racer 2, and White's MX-7's and MX-Sport. But for 24 years, with no more than perhaps a 2 to 6 month span without, I have had a White's XLT in my Regular-Use group and the one I have there now isn't going anywhere until I can no longer get out and enjoy this great sport.

Due to my hearing impairment I parted with my modified Classic units [size=small](like the one you show that you got from me and I now regret not having)[/size], but I now have three very different sets of headphones that allow me to use any of the detectors in my arsenal by matching up the best set of headphones for it, and I have added back a modified Classic ID with a favorite and hard-to-find search coil, and it, also, is not going anywhere until I can no longer get out detecting.

A lot of folks like the XP Déus, and I'm glad it appeals to you, but for me, I never liked the multi parts with rechargeable batteries, and I just didn't like the audio with those I tinkered with.

Monte

Sven I agree the Deep Tech Vista Gold is a very hot machine. Not many folk's have tried it. I do like that machine with the Super 6 coil. Avery deep machine.