Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which detector to choose?

I am currently in South Korea. I will be back in the U.S. 2018. I will then be looking to put a new machine in my arsenal. Currently I own an Minelab Explorer II that has a ton of miles on it. It is time to put it aside and only use it when necessary. My dilemma is choosing my next machine. The ones I have in mind and the reasons are as follows; (in no particular order)
1. Minelab Etrac- For=It is very similar to the EX II and I think I would grasp the use of it quickly. Against= Cost
2. Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold- For=Cost. Waterproof to 10 feet. I could actually get both for the price of the Etrac. Against=Lacks a little in the depth department.
3. White's MX Sport- For= Cost and waterproof to 10 feet. Against= I know very little about this machine or the capability.
4. White's Spectra V3i- For= Depth and target ID Against=Cost and I know very little about this machine or the capability.

I will take into consideration any other suggestions from you knowledgeable folks. Thanks for replying.

Hello kingingkunsan,

I would add the latest version of the Fisher F75 for consideration.

It's already proven reputation for depth/sensitivity, and fast recovery/target separation, has been augmented with some nice upgrades. A new FA process, with lightning fast audio target separation, and new FeTone iron audio levels among them. The DST (Digital Shielding Technology) has eliminated any EMI concerns.

The current price reduction $599 MSRP, with the ability to get them in the $500 range sold me. I own a Minelab CTX 3030, but at that price and with the latest updates, I couldn't resist. I've had mine about 11 months, and have no regrets!

Might be worth a look??

Since you already have a fantastic Minelab FBS detector, consider the Garrett AT Max. (Reports indicate it will be released sometime in August 2017)

http://garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_max_main_en.aspx

Not familiar with the White's machines you mention so I can not comment. Good luck in your decision.

MI-AuAg said:
Hello kingingkunsan,

It's already proven reputation for depth/sensitivity, and fast recovery/target separation, has been augmented with some nice upgrades. A new FA process, with lightning fast audio target separation, and new FeTone iron audio levels among them. The DST (Digital Shielding Technology) has eliminated any EMI concerns.

The current price reduction $599 MSRP, with the ability to get them in the $500 range sold me. I own a Minelab CTX 3030, but at that price and with the latest updates, I couldn't resist. I've had mine about 11 months, and have no regrets!

Might be worth a look??

[size=large]I too have been looking at the F75. I currently have, among many others, an Explorer XS and Explorer SE Pro.
In looking for nickels with the F75, do you dig a lot of pull tabs? And if you disc out pull tabs do you lose nickels?
About how deep is the F75 compared with your Minelab?
What do you use the most?
I would agree that since he already has a great detector, check out the F75. Maybe go to a dealer and try before you buy?[/size]

Tony N (Michigan) said:
MI-AuAg said:
Hello kingingkunsan,

Might be worth a look??

[size=large]I too have been looking at the F75. I currently have, among many others, an Explorer XS and Explorer SE Pro.
In looking for nickels with the F75, do you dig a lot of pull tabs? And if you disc out pull tabs do you lose nickels?
About how deep is the F75 compared with your Minelab?
What do you use the most?
I would agree that since he already has a great detector, check out the F75. Maybe go to a dealer and try before you buy?[/size]

Hello Tony N,

In response to your nickel/pull tab question, to be honest I usually run very little discrimination. I normally run my F75 at a disc level of 6 or less, which doesn't eliminate anywhere near the full iron range. I have some pretty trashy older spots that I know contain some goodies. The F75 does well for me in those areas. It's incredibly fast recovery/separation speed works nicely in that environment. I utilize the FeTone Iron Audio. With the new FA Process (fast process) it has a shorter/quicker audio response, even with the stock 11" coil you get excellent target separation in trash. If the shorter audio in the FA Process gets overwhelming, I just put on my NEL 4x6" Snake coil and use the standard Default Process (de), which itself has a very quick recovery/great separation. If you use the 3H and 4H tone options it ups the nickel's to a high tone. As to depth comparison. It's kind of like comparing apples and oranges. The CTX is multi-freq. and is normally run with ground tracking, the F75, single-freq.with a ground grab system. In terms of sheer depth with the 11'' coil, I would give an edge to the F75, but once again that is based on a lot of subjective factors. Both machines excel in different areas. Since I got the F75 I've used it more in that 11 month period, simply because i want to learn it well. As I said the speed/target separation of the F75 works well for me in trashy areas. The visual aspects of the CTX are unmatched, you can see multiple targets in their respective conductive zone on the screen. It has a lot of great features, and is an any environment detector, but, at a heavy $$$. The F75 is a great proven, and improved detector, for a reasonable price.

I've found over the years that the basic induction balance, single frequency VLF detection process hasn't changed, or been much improved Over the last couple decades, the ground balancing, tone responses/ID's, discrimination, and ergonomics of the machines are the major "improvements". Machines such as the Whites MXT (around 17 yrs young) and the Fisher F75 (10 yrs young) continue to be favorites among detectorist's. Why? They worked well then, and they continue to work well. The F75 has had the good fortune to be tweaked and improved over the years, as Dave Johnson, the design engineer of both machines mentioned, is still doing it for Fisher.

Id go with a Deus I have an Etrac and added a Deus and it's one of the lightest machines period battery life is insane charge all three pieces at once in about 2 hours!

Mkus said:
Id go with a Deus I have an Etrac and added a Deus and it's one of the lightest machines period battery life is insane charge all three pieces at once in about 2 hours!

How does the Deus stack up with the Etrac as far as finds go?

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Mkus said:

How does the Deus stack up with the Etrac as far as finds go?
Very well just a new learning curve but I use it more than my Etrac my elbow never hurts anymore the edge goes to the Etrac on saltwater beaches all I use like I said run time is incredible with the deus....
Found this large cent this past sat with my deus

Hi King For what its worth ive had a few detectors over the years Minelab tesoro fisher cz,s also Tecknetics t2 and a few more also but i recently purchased a Nokata Impact it is buy far a superior unit I have found silver in the same parks i detected with the other a fore mentioned units and it just amazes me what was missed I was a sceptic but now im convinced if you do make a purchase you will b delighted Thanks drybones

Get the Etrac if your Explorer is kaput. Otherwise add the AT Pro or MX Sport to the arsenal and you will have a LOT of bases covered.

I had the V3i for 7 years, also had the F75 with Boost and the AT Pro. I now have the Notka Impact and I'm much happier with it than the other three.

Tom's a neighbor and a thoughtful, experienced and articulate detectorist.

In light of that, perhaps it would be good if he would take a few minutes and detail how, in various ways, the Impact better meets his needs than those other excellent machines.

I ask exactly because I am confident that his ideas (though no more infallible than anybody else's) would be of value.

For very highly mineralised ground the Nokta Impact can go on any goldfield and places where PI,s have big problems.It is a far superior machine than any other VLF in goldfields and will ground balance in extreme mineralisation in COG mode where PI,s have major problems. I have proved it in The Golden Triangle in Australia and the first person in the world to do so in any goldfield.All others have only tested it in back yards or parks.I have been camping in a tent for 3 weeks with sub zero nightly temperatures without heating in order to test the Impact, so it was a bit of an ordeal.I think Nokta owes me a debt of gratitude for finding this out and spreading the good news.