Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WHICH DETECTOR TO KEEP ??

ArizFlash

[size=large]
I currently have an MXT Pro and a Fisher F75 Ltd/SE. Both detectors have similar capabilities and the operating frequencies are about the same. Both detectors had the same lead designer. The MXT is still under warranty which will expire 12/21/13. The F75 was purchased in March of this year and is covered by the First Texas 5 year warranty.

I am going to sell one and get a Minelab. I've never owned a Minelab but want to try an Explorer SE Pro or Etrac.

The following are what in my opinion are the major Pro's of each detector.

Pros for the F75
1. The F75 is deeper than the MXT when you can run the sensitivity higher than 80.
2. The F75 has static and motion modes with VDI readout. The MXT only has motion all metal
3. The F75 is at at least a pound lighter and better ergonomics than the MXT.
4. The F75 has more audio choices than the MXT Pro
5. The F75 uses four AA batteries vs. 8 for the MXT, operating time between battery changes is the same
6. The F75 has a volume control the MXT doesn't
7. The F75 has 5 discrimination modes the MXT has only 2.
8. The F75 has static and motion all metal mode, The MXT only has motion.

Pros for the MXT Pro
1. The MXT has better audio (analog sound) than the digital audio on the F75.
2. The MXT has auto ground tracking & Ground Grab and controllable SAT the F75only has Ground Grab.
3. The MXT has a Prospecting Mode that work very well the F75 doesn't but can be used in motion all metal.
4. The MXT has a Salt Mode which reduces transmit power and changes the groiund balance range the F75 does not.
5. The MXT has simple to use knobs and push buttons vs the F75 scrolling menu system.
6. The MXT and White's detectors in general seem to hold their resale value better than other detectors.
7. White's warranty although 3 years shorter are transferable and the F75 is not.
8. In my opinion and experience Whites has the best after sales service and support.

I think both Fisher and White's will soon come out with new detectors that will be better than both of these.

Anyone have any opinions on which detector you would keep?
[/size]

Well...looks like you already know, but if it were me, I'd keep the one that fits me best (ergonomics) cheaper to run, (batteries) and has greater audio choices. They are both fine machines, so sometimes a decision like this comes down to comfort, fit, and personal hunting style. Good Luck!
Mud

I had a 75 ltd listed on craigslist here until the add ran out ----never got a call.
In that same time I saw several MXTs as well as MXT Pros sell quickly---it may not be a choice you get to make.
I'd put them both up for sale and sell whichever went first.

Sell 'em all. They'll just gather dust after you get the Minelab! :detecting:

I'm partial to the 75 because I hunt where iron nails are abundant. The 75 w/ the 5" coil is hard to beat for separation. My choice would be to sell the MXT, get the E-trac and use the E and the 75 for the variety of soil conditions. Minelabs excel in high mineralized soil. I think the E and the 75 are a great combo...all bases covered.

I'd sell the F75. When the next big Fisher detector is unveiled (soon) the F75 resale value is going to plummet (well drop a bit). Get what you can for it now.

Both detectors have similar capabilities and the operating frequencies are about the same. ????
The MXT operates between 14 and 15 kHz. I don't believe that is true for the F75. Could be wrong.
Personally I keep the MXT because I am aware of how good it is. Used one for a long time.
Robt2300.

Robert:

The F75 frequency is 13 kHZ and the MXT is 14 kHZ so they are pretty similar.

The F75 has a frequency adjustment up or down from 12.82 kHZ and 13.16 kHZ which really doesn't do much except help with interference when I go detecting with my son who has a F70. I've read that it helps with EMI issues but I haven't found that to be the case.

I've been using White's detectors since 1982 so I am comfortable with their detectors and the support/service. I've had the 6/DB, 6000 DiPro, XLT, and Quantum XT Pro. I still have a Classic IDX and lots of coils including a Bigfoot. I've also had a few different Tesoro's, a Bounty Hunter LandStar and a Garrett Scorpion. The F75 SE is my first Fisher detector.

I just had back surgery on July 11th and my doc says it will be another 10 days or before I can go detecting again. I'll probably use my Tesoro Cutlass II uMax first to see how I get along swinging and retrieving.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

ArizFlash