Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Explorer ?

ric44

Guys I am debating trading for an Explorer of some type. Im leaning toward an Explorer II but there are so many Ex models its mind boggling. Whats the difference in them and what would I need to start out with ? I also own a Excalibur 1000 but havent used it yet. Im a long time Whites user and they have been good to me but Id just like to try an Ex. What say you? Thanks

I haven't been detecting for long, couple of months. But, it was suggested to me, by a friend of mine, that I seriously look into a Minelab detector. I started to do a little searching and found a SE with the Pro Coil on Ebay and snatched it as it had only been used for a couple of months. My friend had used Whites and Fishers in the past and now swears by Minelab. Anyhow, to make a long story short, he and I were out the other day searching and we decided to swap detectors for a stint. My personal opinion, I would not want his Explorer II and he would not want my SE. My problem was with the weight of his II compared to my SE, the SE seemed a bit lighter, and for a long day, that makes a big difference. He even commented on how light my SE was compared to his II. I did not care for the pinpointing on his II compared to my SE either. Anyhow, that was my take on a short trial run with his II compared to my SE.

We were out hunting ghost towns that day in NW Nevada.

Howdy Doc P

I think both EXll and the SE weigh the same. It's the weight and ballance of the Pro coil on the SE that makes the difference
in comparison to the stock 1050 coil on the EXll. I have the Pro coil mounted to my EXll and there is worlds of difference in the way it feels and it has better ballance. The Pro coil is nice! HH..........Hombre

Hombre,

I just installed the stock 1050 coil in the last couple of days and hit the beach with it, found some newer change and a lot of lead. I also hunted an old train stop yesterday (Parran Siding, NV) with the 1050 coil and found some bronze, copper and the likes, but, no coins. I didn't seem to notice the difference in weight based on the coil, but, I could be mistaken, who knows, wasn't really thinking about that, if you know what I mean.....:twodetecting:

Anyhow, I think that I am going to switch back to the Pro Coil as I seem to like its pinpointing a lot better and just feel all around a little better about that coil. But, like I said before, I am still learning. I have been asking a lot of questions of my friend, based on his years of hunting and what he finds in the same locations that I just went over....Oh well, still learning. Short story long, I just need to spend more time with it and see what works for me. He has helped a lot, but, it still boils down to time spent with the unit that will make all the difference.

For a whites guy that like asking which is better the XLT or DFX. People sware by their machine and normally the new guy (new machine) on the block chatches a lot of flack. I hunted with Brian who has the XS and he did as well or better overall than i did the other day. These machines can be VERY affective, especially now that the Pro and SEF coils are out. Personally i like the II and SE because of their upgrades. The only thing i dont like is if you buy used there isnt any warranty transfer unlike the whites or other brands. That brings down the resale everytime a new machine comes out. Good for you thou... you may pick up a great buy on one. Cant complain about my choice of the SE. good luck.

Dew

ric said:
but there are so many Ex models its mind boggling

XS, II, SE

SE Pro is just a different coil.

I love my EXII (now with a Pro coil) except that the pinpoint circuit is underpowered, but I've heard it's a little less jumpy in the TIDs than the SE. I'm confident they are all awesome - and you won't be dissapointed.

Ric, you really can't go wrong with any of them. They are all great detectors. I have the XS and used it for years. Still have it as a back up to my SE.

I think the tones may sound a little "cleaner" on the xs and II but the pinpoint strength and vco feature on the SE is so much more to my liking.

I suggest you find a good deal on one and enjoy it. Learn it well. There is no wrong choice so don't worry so much about it.