Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which goes deeper? 9" concentric or the 10 " Elliptical DD 18khz

Hi everyone,

I have an xterra 70, but it's been a while since I used it. I am bringing a friend out with me tomorrow and I'd like to give him max depth. The ground is very friendly without a lot of junk.

9" coil or 10" DD 18khz?

Would the concentric be better for coin shooting?

Last time out, I had the 6 " coil and he felt like he was getting ripped off. :laugh:

Thanks for your input.

Hands down I would have him use the 10" elliptical DD. That's a great coil for coin shooting. I would think that the depth is very similar to the 9" at it's sweetest spot and it will give him more coverage over the length of the coil than the conical pattern of the concentric. That in itself is probably the greatest strength when comparing the two. Any of the medium frequency coils do not seem to do as well finding nickels as the HF coils.

For a newbe detectorist, between those two coils, the 5x10 will be the easiest for him. I never feel like I'm getting enough coverage when I use the 9" coil and the target ID also seems just a little flakey unless you are right on top of something. It's not a bad coil but you have to be pretty comfortable with the Xterra to make the best use of that coil.

Hope this helps

If trash density is high, or the ground is hot where you're going, give him the DD. If it's relatively clean mild ground, the the 9" would be a good choice. The MF coils in general will deliver the most accurate TIDs.

Right on guys. I checked the thread when I got to his place but no one had posted yet.

He kept the concentric on and found a nice old large cent and 3 silver spoons (2 were silver plated). Next time, I'll be sure to put the 10" on there for him.

Tell him to slow down if he's ging to use the DD.