Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which has the best, MXT Pro or MXS?

MX Sport. Nothing wrong with the MXT, but the Sport is an improvement on that platform.

tboykin said:
MX Sport. Nothing wrong with the MXT, but the Sport is an improvement on that platform.

Nothing wrong with the MXT....quite the understatement being as its one of the all time winners from the Whites stable and still in demand over 15 years after introduction..... is it not as sensitive, have worse separation, or a worse recovery speed than the MXS?

It's an improvement from what standpoint? that it's waterproof, or does it have better ground tracking, better discrimination, more accurate VDI or more sensitive to small gold nuggets or????

Lots of posters on here, sold their MXT, bought an MXS, dumped it and bought another MXT....that might mean something.....

One thing I can say about the MXT, (I have owned two and currently have an MXT PRO) is that the MXT in all its iterations has one of the finest ground tracking systems available and is the same as on the GMT which was specifically designed for tough ground.

That may not be so important in a mild soil application, but it you live anywhere or detect anywhere that mineralization is an issue, the ground tracking can make or break the overall performance. If the detector can't see due to mineralization, it won't matter what the separation or recovery speed is as you will be missing lots of targets to begin with.....

What the OP is really asking is which machine will give him the best performance, my response is that its not just a set of spec's as tested at the factory, but is really all about what you can find with the machine with a properly matched coil to the job at hand.

Besides the ground tracking, a distinct advantage of the MXT is coil selection both from Whites as well as other coil manufacturers, which will ultimately play an important role, as there are way more coil options available to match the MXT to the job and the environment than there are for the MXS and this won't change for some time until the overall success of the MXS is assured.....

Keep in mind that change doesn't necessarily equal progress. I personally spoke to a Whites engineer who said " if you don't need waterproof, you won't gain anything changing from an MXT to an MXS". The real question is what might you lose?

Good Luck

I'm one that sold my MXT Pro and bought a MXSport. Luckily, I was able to buy back my MXT, and I sold the Sport. I did not like the weight and balance of the Sport. It seemed very nose heavy to me. I could not use it for very long before my back was killing me. The MXT has a much better balance than the Sport, and so it feels lighter. I did not find anything with the Sport that I wouldn't have found with the MXT in my opinion. Actually I like the MX5 better than either the MXT or MXSport. I think that the MX5 is Whites most underrated detector.

Hello el,

Having owned both, I'll stay with the MX Sport. Sport has a lot of cool features, and it's water proof.

Paul

Personally I have never used an mxt but I have used and own machines that I believe operate in similar fashion. By that I mean "analogue". Yes, I'm aware that the mxt is a digital unit. The mxt is one of the machines that catches my eye from time to time and one day I'll probably break down and pick one up.
Now here is what I would love to see, a smaller lighter mxt! I have a couple digital amps that can keep up with tube amps and can fit in the palm of your hand, I think it's possible to take some Whites old school detectors and miniaturize them while retaining the characteristics that make them special.
So maybe "modern" detectors can out perform some of the older classics but there is no reasons that the mxt couldn't out perform itself in another iteration that still keeps everything that makes it an mxt. I also think that with the level of interplay and control that you get get from an analogue platform with knob controls a mini mxt would outperform the newer all digital detectors. Heck, a smaller mxt made with lighter material like thermoplastics and a more efficient battery system that performed the same as the old mxt, I would still get one!

I got rid of my sport in less than a digging season. Why? Because it's way to heavy with any coil option on it. But what I really hated, is in heavy iron it wouldn't lock on to anything. In the civil war camps I hunt it was terrible, just being honest. And for me, relic mode was worthless. Just look on YouTube at all the big time, big name relic hunters. There are none that use a sport. And the one who did got rid of it and now uses a Garrett. But old thiltzy is still using his mxt pro and killing it at cellar holes. I still love whites. But they need to wake up and quit building 4 pound machines.

quicksilver said:
I got rid of my sport in less than a digging season. Why? Because it's way to heavy with any coil option on it. But what I really hated, is in heavy iron it wouldn't lock on to anything. In the civil war camps I hunt it was terrible, just being honest. And for me, relic mode was worthless. Just look on YouTube at all the big time, big name relic hunters. There are none that use a sport. And the one who did got rid of it and now uses a Garrett. But old thiltzy is still using his mxt pro and killing it at cellar holes. I still love whites. But they need to wake up and quit building 4 pound machines.

Some of the best US relic hunters I know switched to an MX Sport, and regularly perform cleanup work behind the ATs and CTX's. The key is the user and their experience with the machine... and what they find.

https://www.youtube.com/user/missoctane1

https://www.youtube.com/user/DJDigs79

https://youtu.be/M2ut3HEWB7k

https://youtu.be/cccz7XHpu5M

https://youtu.be/Hs724TTGVV4

"Big time relic hunters" has little to do with subscriber count and more to do with experience, knowledge of history, and actual finds. Keep in mind the above people were not paid to promote or use the MX Sport. They genuinely prefer it to their previous machines (which is usually the AT Slow, V3i, MXT, or VX3). But Garrett is willing to offer bigger incentives to people to promote their products - that is their schtick. We are spending our money on product development instead of re-releasing old machines every six years.

I had an at and now use the mxs, my ears perke up at garretts newest offering then retreated after I found out it didn't even have iron audio. The mxa, in my opinion outperforms the old at. Also it's nice to have an underwater machine I don't have to hold underwater. Not bashing the at, it's a fine machine in its own right.

It has iron audio in both discriminate and all metal modes.

Thanks Paul. BTW, the field where you found the navy button is being plowed and looks like they are getting ready to plant. I was hoping they would rip first. I 'll check it out tomorrow and let you also know about and button hill.

El

Thanks El,

Sounds great, I'd like to detect there again before they plant.

Getting back to the MXT Pro, the MXT Pro is a good relic Detector. Relic and Prospecting modes are great for relic hunting. I see something with the MX Sport, hard to explain and the MX Sport prospecting mode is doing great for my type of hunting. I'll have to show you this, compare it with another one of my favorite top end models and explain the differences between the two. Why I instead prefer the MX Sport over the other top end model with Prospecting mode. But in discrimination mode at an iron laced site, I fancy the other top end, so each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks El,
Paul

mntnflyr4fun said:
tboykin said:

Nothing wrong with the MXT....quite the understatement being as its one of the all time winners from the Whites stable and still in demand over 15 years after introduction..... is it not as sensitive, have worse separation, or a worse recovery speed than the MXS?

It's an improvement from what standpoint? that it's waterproof, or does it have better ground tracking, better discrimination, more accurate VDI or more sensitive to small gold nuggets or????

Lots of posters on here, sold their MXT, bought an MXS, dumped it and bought another MXT....that might mean something.....

One thing I can say about the MXT, (I have owned two and currently have an MXT PRO) is that the MXT in all its iterations has one of the finest ground tracking systems available and is the same as on the GMT which was specifically designed for tough ground.

That may not be so important in a mild soil application, but it you live anywhere or detect anywhere that mineralization is an issue, the ground tracking can make or break the overall performance. If the detector can't see due to mineralization, it won't matter what the separation or recovery speed is as you will be missing lots of targets to begin with.....

What the OP is really asking is which machine will give him the best performance, my response is that its not just a set of spec's as tested at the factory, but is really all about what you can find with the machine with a properly matched coil to the job at hand.

Besides the ground tracking, a distinct advantage of the MXT is coil selection both from Whites as well as other coil manufacturers, which will ultimately play an important role, as there are way more coil options available to match the MXT to the job and the environment than there are for the MXS and this won't change for some time until the overall success of the MXS is assured.....

Keep in mind that change doesn't necessarily equal progress. I personally spoke to a Whites engineer who said " if you don't need waterproof, you won't gain anything changing from an MXT to an MXS". The real question is what might you lose?

Good Luck
Well Said Mr...

tboykin said:
quicksilver said:

Some of the best US relic hunters I know switched to an MX Sport, and regularly perform cleanup work behind the ATs and CTX's. The key is the user and their experience with the machine... and what they find.

https://www.youtube.com/user/missoctane1

https://www.youtube.com/user/DJDigs79

https://youtu.be/M2ut3HEWB7k

https://youtu.be/cccz7XHpu5M

https://youtu.be/Hs724TTGVV4

"Big time relic hunters" has little to do with subscriber count and more to do with experience, knowledge of history, and actual finds. Keep in mind the above people were not paid to promote or use the MX Sport. They genuinely prefer it to their previous machines (which is usually the AT Slow, V3i, MXT, or VX3). But Garrett is willing to offer bigger incentives to people to promote their products - that is their schtick. We are spending our money on product development instead of re-releasing old machines every six years.

So, is it your policy or whites to bash Garrett? Exactly what is your purpose to refer it as the AT slow? Nice move and seems typical of you people there at whites. You must have learned from that howard guy on how to handle people comments.
So this must be your schtick?