Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which is the better buy?

hitmeupz

Hello members, looking for some advice. My local dealer here in Mexico is currently running two sales. They have the standard racer 2 package for $350 usd, or the multi kruzer package for $450 usd. My last detector was a red racer and I sold it, due to being too chatty. I was thinking about getting one of the other popular new detectors, but don't have enough funds right now. Which of these 2 would be the better buy, and are they just as chatty?

Multi kruzer for 450 or the kruzer (single freq) for $450?

Multi Kruzer will serve you well, comes with the excellent wireless headphones, it's water proof, 3 selectable frequencies, and weighs the same as the R2.

I have both and for the money I'd get the Multi Kruzer for all the reasons Cal_Cobra stated above.

Thank you for the input, I'm just going to put both on the credit card, and see which I like better, and sell the other off. For some reason I just don't seem to like the looks of the multi, and sound. As far as looks, might just be the layout of the front panel rubber buttons. Rubber seems to get sticky with time, had that problem with my DSLR camera grip.

The Racer2 is no slouch, it's one of the all time best detectors I've owned since I started detecting. Tirst detector was a Fisher Coin$trike when they first came out, not the best newbie machine that's for sure. At any rate, the Racers have been incredible unmaskers. Think of the Multi Kruzer as it's big brother, with slightly better unmasking, oh and want to try different frequencies to hone in on gold or silver, no problemo, you got three the select from. Want to go in the water with the Racer2, yeah that's not going to happen, but you can with the IP68 rated MK. The R2 is a great machine BUT the MK can do everything the R2 can do and more, and what it replicates it does even better. That said, I still have my R2 as a backup relic detector because I have 5 or 6 good coils for it (OOR, NEL Snake, factory 10" elliptical oval, etc).

MULTI KRUZER

For that price I'd even go with the multi kruzer. Your price you're getting is cheaper then I would pay for a racer 2 standard package.

One thing no one mentioned here is the chatter, and I see you couldn't deal with it on the Red Racer. Unless you turn down the gain you're going to think the Kruzer is way more chatty than your Red Racer. For some reason people are getting rid of their machines because of the chatter without ever considering that they may need to turn down their gain. Keep this in mind before you use anything but 3 tone mode on both the Racer 2 and the Kruzer. Keeping the Kruzer below 89 gain in 3 tone is your best bet for running chatter free, well in my soil it is anyway.

Unless you want or need a waterproof detector, dollar-for-dollar I feel the Racer 2 is a killer deal at the current MSRP. Matter of fact, I got a new Racer 2 to add another to my arsenal. Nothing wrong with the Multi-Kruzer at all, but for the money, I feel most active hobbyists or avid detectorists hav a great offering with the Racer 2.

As for Noise or 'chatter,' I seldom have a problem with it. In the house and in my den, ALL my detectors, regardless of brand, are a bit nosy to very noisy due to the presence of EMI. Where I most often go detecting, I very seldom have any chattery operation unless I am close to another detector at a close operating frequency and need to move off w short distance. I run my Tesoro Mojave and Bandido II at or very close to full Sensitivity. I keep my White's Classic ID at maximum and my MX-7's at a gain of '8' out of '10' possible. My Nokta Impact, Relic, CoRe and Makro Racer 2 and Multi-Kruzer units are used in 3-Tone 98% of the time, and all of them have the Sensitivity/Gain saved to start up at '99'. I hardly ever reduce it.

The key ingredient is that I hunt in very mineralized ground and neutral to low mineralized ground can allow for more 'noise.' Also, hunting in any urban environments is likely going to introduce more offending EMI to be dealt with and that causes more 'chatter' or 'noise' that is NOT the fault of the detector. Just a need to deal with it by increasing the Disc. and/or reducing the Sensitivity/Gain to counter it.

Monte

Monte, read his first post saying the prices he is getting the multi kruzer for. It's cheaper than we can even get the racer 2 standard pack for.... Even with the new lower price here

Once again, I thank everyone for their input. I ended up keeping the Racer 2 as it was the less chatty of the two, less chatty than my original red racer as well. I guess I was spoiled by the chatter free usage of my prior G2 and F75 LTD2. I was able to sell the MMK for a profit, so I'm thinking about a 7" concentric for the racer 2.

hitmeupz said:
I ended up keeping the Racer 2 as it was the less chatty of the two, less chatty than my original red racer as well.
Hanging on to the Racer 2 is a smart move, in my opinion, as it is a very versatile detector.

hitmeupz said:
I guess I was spoiled by the chatter free usage of my prior G2 and F75 LTD2.
I used to sell Teknetics detectors and my personal G2 was reasonably quiet most of the time, but I kept the small 5" DD mounted most of the time, as well. It was noisier with the standard coil in many urban environments in a big city metro area [size=small](Portland Oregon)[/size], and I had two F75's in the past six years that were also noisy for me. But then, I usually run at very high Sensitivity/Gain settings, and again, a lot of that was in urban environments.

Unstable, chattery behavior can be directly associated with a particular detector model and the Sensitivity settings used, but is can also be caused by the search coil used, and especially the location where it is operated as there can often be some nearby EMI source. I have my Racer 2 ready-to-go with all the settings saved, and it starts up in 3-Tone with the Sensitivity at '99' and Disc. at '3'. My 2-Tone modes, Di2, Beach and Deep, all start up at a Sensitivity of '95' and I also have the Disc. set at '3' in those modes as well. If I have an unstable behavior during a search [size=small](coil worked about 2" off the ground and not held in-the-air)[/size], then I might reduce the Sensitivity enough to gain stability. I rarely need to do that.

hitmeupz said:
I was able to sell the MMK for a profit, so I'm thinking about a 7" concentric for the racer 2.
I only use two search coils with my Racer 2. The 7" Concentric stays mounted full-time and I feel it is the best coil choice anyone can make. When in a really nasty, dense iron contaminated site, I mount my small 'OOR' DD coil that is on a spare rod in my Accessory Coil Tote.

So, keeping the Racer 2 is a :thumbup: decision, and investing in the 7" Concentric coil also gets a :thumbup:.

Monte

How can the Multi Kruzer be sold in Mexico for $450 us and in the states it goes for $749 us? Is it a knock off? Seriously, I'd get one if it's real.