Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which of these three probes would you choose & why?

A

Anonymous

if you had a choice of:
* periscope
* Sunray X-1
* vibraprobe 460
which would you choose and why? (with money not being a consideration)
thank you

sunrays x-1 probe of course. it's attached to my explorer. it can be used in disc. mode or pin point mode it's light weight you dont even know it's on the explorer and it will sniff out any target my explorer sees. hows that? lol, stan

I like the Periscope. You can find the exact location of the target before you even dig the hole. Then, you can ID the target while it is still in the ground.
May I also add, that having both would be great also. Sometimes the ground is too hard to insert the Persicope (manual says you can insert the probe in ground that you can insert your digging tool in, I agree) such as gravel. Then it would be nice to have the X1.
Of course, if you have more than one detector, the X1 can't help you much unless you have one for each (Minelab only) detector. The Periscope will work with any detector.
Just my opinion.
HH Alton

I had a Vibraprobe before I bought the X1, loved it, spaced out and left it at a park, went back and it was gone. Then I purchased an X1, man I tell you as much as I liked the Vibraprobe the X1 is 1,000% better. 3x the depth and all the benefits of working through the Explorer's electronics.

I have had the x1 for six weeks or so and love it. Today I ordered a Periscope. So, while I can't extoll the virtues of latter, I can talk about what I think that it will do for me.
The x1 is a no-brainer. You flip a switch and you have a probe that acts just like a search coil on your XS, as to include discrimination and pinpointing. The probe is simple to use because you already know how to use the Explorer. Ralph at Sun Ray also has awesome quality control which means that the x1 is superior at all levels.
That being said, why did I just plunk down $549 for a Periscope?
Well, I am doing it because I am pretty certain that I am passing up a lot of targets. Have you ever found a spot with an iron sound that just reads a little higher than iron should? Well, I am discovering that something good is down there about 20-25% of the time, maybe a little lower. I am getting Ott's Periscope so I don't have to dig 5 holes to find one coin.
Another reason that I am getting the Periscope is because it is flexible. I have a Garrett that is frankly much quicker and lighter when it comes to snagging the new stuff - recovery speed is sometimes more important than vacuming up every penny. And who knows what I will be swinging 2 years from now!
Finally, you need to think of the Periscope as a metal detector - not a probe. It does everything a quality metal detector does. And, if you were so inclined, you could grid an area and detect it without a standard detector. I know of an area with insane iron density that I am going to section off and detect with the Periscope - just for fun. And nugget hunters use it to get into cracks and crevices that nothing else can reach.
If money is no object, both is a good answer. I doubt if either probe will disappoint you. I know that I spent a lot more time talking about the Periscope, but every bit of it is a summation of my hopes - not experience. I regard the x1 as a mandatory tool. I <i>hope</i> that I will have a similar feeling for the Periscope.
Aside from the s1, I am not aware of any other probes worthy of consideration.
Tim

My X1 came in yesterday and I haven't used it yet. I listed my Vibra-Probe on ebay today. I would buy the periscope if I felt it could give a good ID with the probe several inches away from the target. Touching the probe to the target may scratch it. What's the range of the Periscope?

get both if money isn't an issue. They both have their nitches. I don't use either on the beach, but land hunting we owe it to our hobby to leave as close to no disturbance as possible. The "Scope" can't be equalled in that department. Alton's input was excellant. From my limited land hunting experience, I'd say over 90% of my recoveries where under 5". The "Scope" gets "EXACT" depth and location, also additional target ID, which in turn allows recovery with near zero disturbance. As mentioned in some previous responses, it also can be use with all detectors, which is a big plus. Last I have to say that as light as the Sunray probes are, I don't enjoy the weight added onto my detectors. They are great in enclosed areas such as under a boardwalk. On a hip mounted Sov. there is no equal in that dept., I plan on using this set up with my pulse machine on the beach this winter, sounds good in theory, but only time will tell. To keep this from gettin any longer, I'll sum up saying if you only get one, get the "Scope", HH

Jim's web page lists distances to targets and will ID targets, especially coins. HH

Buy both if you can afford them. They both have their place. The X1 & the Periscope. I have all 3. I am going to sell the Vibra probe. I like it but now I do not need it. The periscope is great for parks and private homes (very little disturbance,exact target id and depth before you dig) I use it all the time except on the beach.
The X1 is great period...

Anyone remember the little A.H. Probe pinpointer? I might have the name wrong, but I think A.H. Electronics made it prior to them making their first metal detector (the A. H. Pro).
Having only read the advertising for the <font color=red>Periscope</font>, it sounds like the A.H. Probe was quite similar. At least it did about the same thing. <i>(Remember this would have been a few years back, maybe early 80s.)</i>
Anyway, the thing was housed in a little gray aluminum mini-box, had a small little pistol grip handle (blue vinyl hand grip) and a trigger that was a momentary On switch. On the back of the box was a small edge-wise center-zero meter, and there was a small knob adjustment somewhere on the box. The front of the box had a length of brass tubing sticking out of it. The tubing was probably about 1/4 inch in diameter and might have been 9 or 10 inches long. The tip was some sort of phenolic material, and was actually the weak point of the whole device, as continued use in abrasive ground would eventually wear a hole in the tip and then you were done (I

Hi:
Yes it was A.H. Pro that made it.Liked it so much
that I made a copy of it. They sold for a fairly cheap price. They gave you a POSITIVE yes or no on whether or not to dig the target. John

I had the A. H. Pro back in the early 80's. It had a tip made from some kind of fiber material. If it had a zerconia tip like the periscope, I would still be using it today.