Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which one is hotter on very small gold AT Gold or Scorpion?

Well Garrett had many more years to get it better... The Scorpion has/was over 20 years in continous production. The calibrated TR Disc mode and a full-range VLF Disc Mode and a standard 10-inch elliptical was once an Industry breakthrough... The calibrated TR Disc can be finetuned with a piece of frerrite and the oldtimers are still doing pretty good with it in sampling old freemilling mine dumps for possible conductive gold hidden inside a "rock-chunk" :)

HI Parrott,
Yes I must agree.
You sound like a person who knows the scorpion well.
I think as detectors become more automated people are going to forget the simple but significant advantages of a good vlf tr discriminator with a calibrated TR disc mode that can accurately ID metal from mineral.. That is one of the main reasons that I purchased the Scorp.

Fishers Ghost... I believe my Scorpion has serial #23 0r maybe it is 25. Back then there were very few Garrett Dealers in Southern California so I bought it through a dealer in Texas... My first nugget with it was about 3-grain and I found it in a cut that was being made to enlarge a parking place for a prospecting association claim in the Dale Mining District.
By the way, I have found you most :)knowledgable too.

In air test they are close with the nod going to the AT Gold, and in hot to very hot ground the AT Gold excells even more on very small nuggets @ .1 gram and smaller. It has A LOT of gain and is very hot on tiny stuff. The Scorp will hit some of these but the audio will be much more harder to hear as the AT Gold screams more on the tiny peices.

Very true though about the Scorpion as to what Parrot has mentioned. Those reasons he said are the very reasons I'm not getting rid of mine any time soon. But I really like using the new AT Gold, a wonderful gold detector.

Alan

jlw said:
What exactly is the TR disc mode on the scorpion?

The TR mode is a non ground balancing vlf discrimination mode that has a calibrated disc setting which means that at zero disc position in the TR mode the dicrimination is set to differentiate between metal and mineral and that means that if a rock sample contains sufficient metal (non ferrous) the detector will give a tone but if the rock is mostly mineral and iron then the threshold will go quiet or remain unchanged, if it remains unchanged then the rock may contain some metal and mineral of a quantity too low for the detector to respond to or that is of a quantity that balances each other out.

This is a very usefull mode for rock sampling.

Fishers Ghost, That sounds good in print, but I didn't find it to be accurate and therefore useful.
Ken/CO

To use the Calibrated disc TR mode as an ore sampler/tester you donot simply scan the target past the coil.
The owner instruction manual does not give a good description of how to use this function and I sugest that you give garrett a call.
I could run through the procedure here but I am not feeling so good at the moment and it takes a little bit of explaining. Garrett can supply printed info on the ore testing methods.

The manual states this:
When you suspect that you have a
signal from a hot rock, locate the target
precisely by pinpointing. Then, move your
searchcoil away and switch the Master
Control switch to TR DISC with your
discrimination control set at Zero. Now,
scan the target again, trying to keep
the exact same distance. If the sound
decreases or becomes silent, your target
is a hot rock. When this happens, If the signal does not stop or decreases
in TR DISC mode, you should investigate
this target more closely and identify the
metal causing your audio to increase.

The correct method is not as simple as this.

I have used the scorp to test a vast number of rock samples and it has worked very well on all of them.