Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which one.. the Tek G2 or the Fisher GB?

MickTwin

If you guys had to pick a G2 with its' stock 11, or a Gold Bug and the 5 inch it comes with, which would be your choice? Is there a REAL difference? Any features that you feel especially good about? Thanks for helping me decide.

MickTwin

They are THE SAME machines, with different handle/rod setups. I would make my decision based on price, and what I can afford. A G2 should be a bit more expensive, with the larger coil as the "stock" coil. But, if you eventually will own BOTH coils, it's pretty much a "wash."

Steve

Go the Gold Bug Pro route, the Fisher coils are cheaper too even tho they are the same unit and use the same coils.

If it matters to you the G2 has the better handle and can handle the weight of the 11 inch coil better. It is not very heavy, so unless you are needing a REALLY easy to swing system, it is a matter of preference here. I prefer the 5 in coil and I believe they are cheaper than the 11s. I have an Omega with both so I don't have to worry there. I just got a used Gold Bug and the 5 inch coil on it seems better made than my older Omega coil. I haven't done a close comparison. I did swap my 11 inch and it works very well on the GB. So far I am VERY PLEASED with the GB.
Tom

I have a GB Pro and an Omega. To me, the handle on the Omega style rod (same as G2) seems to torque my wrist harder. The GB Pro just seems a little lighter to swing. Your mileage may vary of course.

According to a previous post I read per Dave Johnson...The Tek Omega is the first metal detector ever designed with the egronomics as the main feature (not to mention the power behind the unit)...The G2 is built the same way. It's like swinging a feather around...

The Teknetics T2 was the first metal detector in history with scientifically engineered ergonomics. Everything prior was just seat-of-the-pants guesswork. The GB/G2 have excellent ergonomics which draw to some extent on the T2 legacy, but they were not ergonomically engineered from the ground up in the same sense that the Tek T2 was. That's why we publish ergonomic spex for the T2 and mechanically similar F75, but not other products.

Between the G2 and the GB, most people prefer the ergonomics of the G2. I think one person posted saying he prefers the GB ergonomics, which happens to be my own personal preference as well.

A lot of personal preference in ergonomics depends on how far out from your feet you like to swing the searchcoil. I prefer to search with the pole fairly short with less than 12 inches between my shoes and the searchcoil. (Obviously I don't wear steel-toed boots.) This is less tiring than sticking the searchcoil way out there and then trying to "whip it". It also causes you to go slower and pay more attention, so you're not walking right over the top of something you should have detected. On most sites nowadays, the question isn't how much ground you can cover fast, but whether you can find the stuff that previous detectorists on the site missed, in part because of sloppy technique.

--Dave J.

... or at least I think it should.

As he stated, the Teknetics T2 was designed, from the ground up, to be all that it is. And just what is it? It is the best balances, most maneuverable, easiest adjustable, and most versatile detector I have used for most hunting needs. The ONLY thing I wish it had available as an after-market option would be a good round concentric coil of about 6"-7" in diameter. I am very partial to a concentric coil, for many reasons, and while the SDD coils for the T2 work, I'd still like to have just one smaller-than-stock round concentric coil.

Now, to the G2 and Gold Bug Pro or Gold Bug DP (a 'Pro' with a different stock coil). The Gold Bugs are just your basic type of 'S' rod configuration. they are light, hand-feeling, and you simply pick the model with the coil you feel you would use the most.

The G2 differs in that it uses the same hand-grip system and rod angles as the Teknetics Omega. I like the Omega and find it comfortable, and the grip is the same as that used on the T2. So, I like the Tek. G2 physical package ... but I seldom use the big 11" DD coil because it just doesn't 'fit' in most of the sites I prefer to hunt. Most are very brushy, have some building rubble at times, and most are rather trashy. Quite trashy might be the best term, and for those sites I prefer the round 5" DD coil. I leave the 5" DD mounted on my G2 full-time, keeping the 11" mounted on it's own rod just in case I need it for a more open, sparse-target site.

Some people are brand loyalists and just like the Fisher brand name so they go for the Gold Bug Pro or the 11" coil equipped Gold Bug DP. Personally, if I didn't have the G2 and I was looking for an excellent model detector with a flash-of-light speedy response and dazzling recovery rate, and knowing that the 5" coil was all I would likely need (or want) due to the types of sites I prefer to hunt, then I'd just look for a Gold Bug Pro and be fine with that.

I will add a comment here, too, about the great suggestion Dave J. made with regard to rod length and coil presentation because it can have a great bearing on a person's success rate ... as well as fatigue factor. I prefer smaller-than-stock coils because I hunt trashier and more challenging sites most of the time. I prefer smaller-than-stock coils because they balance well and are less fatiguing. I like smaller-than-stock coils because you can often sweep at a slower rate than with a larger coil and that lets the coil/detector work better in trashier sites, or when hunting around brush, rocks, or other obstacles.

I always suggest a person keep the rod length shorter so that the search coil is positioned about 12"-18" in front of the leading foot. and I also warn against making a too-broad sweep from side-to-side. I usually keep my sweeps at about 30" to maybe 36" from side-to-side, overlapping each sweep by at least 50%. Fast sweeps often result in poor coil position with the ground near the ends of the sweep, and they also seem to encourage a faster walk-speed, and that results in less overlapping, too many missed spots in the path you think you've covered, and gives a false impression of just how efficiently you ,might have worked a site.

I hit the road a month ago yesterday, may 21st, and have traveled through 3 states and have called on a number of dealers/potential dealers, and hunted with many people I have encountered. This time has also included a 3-day outing with a group of 28 detectorists, and extended outing with a family of three to hunt a couple of good areas, and I have observed far too many people who need a little help and suggestion on sweep speed, coil presentation, coverage and overlapping. That's a project for out July 9th meeting, I guess. :)

Anyway, any of the GB Pro/GB DP or G2 models you consider will get the job done in most applications. I feel the main consideration, with the coils they are offered with, is first for you to determine just which coil YOU feel will be used the most, then pick the models that provides that coil.

Don't forget to let us know what your decision is, and how the detector/coil handle your needs.

Monte