Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which program to use for old colonial field??

If there isnt much iron use GM Power in trashy areas use Deus fast. Craig

Colonial Fields are usually iron infested which is going to make it really hard finding good deep targets so I would recommend the Deus Fast that will help you pick the good targets out in between all the trash that the other detectors would miss. If it is extremely iron infested even move the reactivity up to 4 or 5 to really sniff those good targets out of the mix.:thumbup:

Iron is difficult to hunt in. Keep in mind if you turn reactivity up it will decrease your detection depth. Best is to just slow down and listen. Don't want to miss a deep one by having reactivity up to high. :thumbup:

Bart is right, I've run air-tests and empirical tests in an iron infested site.

I switched back and forth between two identical programs with a difference of only reactivity.
Reactivity of 2 and a reactivity of 4.

The program with reactivity4 was twice as noisy.
Gave a much smaller footprint on the target, reduced depth, and never found anything that the program with a reactivity2 found.
Reactivity2 falsed a lot more on the iron but revealed more good targets in the iron that reactivity4.

I had some iffy signals (not deep) that the reactivity4 told me was nothing. I dug them and revealed a non-ferrous target
along with iron. I would have passed on it in reactivity4!

I reached for my cell phone to document the results before I dug the target to share with the group, but realized that I left my phone home.
(I know....sounds like "the dog ate my homework", but its true.)

Here's my altered program that I call "deep coin".

Sens 95 (lower if in a noisy site)
Freq. 12KHz
Reactivity-2
Iron volume-3
Target volume-4
Disc-5, 3-Tone, 0-5/6-49/50-99 are the set-points
Everything else is default.

A non-ferrous target in iron will often give a reading above 10 and under 95 but sometimes you have to go on how it sounds alone.
There is a discernible difference when a target is in the iron, even when the VDI tells me its only falsing. Two such signals were IH pennies.
I dig way too many false signals but that is because I want to make sure. I have been wrong on a few signals that I thought was iron.
Digging a plug/hole will often disturb or remove the iron and reveal if it's a target or not.
Occasionally vertical nails and some large iron will give a VDI impression of a non-ferrous target also.
So far I have found a few deep targets but nothing in the midst of iron infestation.

I did this testing because I was worried I was missing targets with my program in iron. I am now convinced that it is the best choice for my soil.

TreasureMtnDetectors said:
Colonial Fields are usually iron infested which is going to make it really hard finding good deep targets so I would recommend the Deus Fast that will help you pick the good targets out in between all the trash that the other detectors would miss. If it is extremely iron infested even move the reactivity up to 4 or 5 to really sniff those good targets out of the mix.:thumbup:
Let me clarify and add a little more detail to what I said before, Colonial Fields are usually extremely iron infested and this goes for any extremely iron infested area for that matter. I have learned trying to get maximum depth and looking for those deep targets in these type of areas will end up being very frustrating...too me. So, this is the set up that works for me because I find it easier and my finds end up being better by doing this because of the ability of the Deus to recover so fast in these areas where any other detector will struggle and miss a lot of good targets.
Deus Fast
Freq - 12
Sens - 85-88 (higher can cause it to be to noisy)
Iron vol- 3
target vol - 4
Reactivity - 3 sometimes 4 (occasionally 5 but really there is no need to go that high)
Disc- 6 sometimes as high as 8
3 tone
GB as everyone knows will vary but it is very important not to have it too low in this type of area (will cause the Deus to be unstable)
This set up is not meant for depth, this set up is meant for cherry picking extremely iron infested/trashy areas, which you will be surprised what you will find that other detectors missed and just couldn't handle because of the trash. I dug 39 coins with this program at an extremely trashy area that has been hunted before plenty of times, none of the coins were below 4 -5 inches and most of them around 2 1/2 - 3 inches deep( a lot of these targets had trash in the same hole). So there you have it folks that is the set up that works for me in extremely trashy areas and like I said I have better results not going for the deep stuff in these areas but hey that's just what works for me. If you want to go into more detail feel free to contact me anytime.:thumbup:

I had a target the other day I detected with reactivity at 4. Nice smooth tone. I went to 3 reactivity still a nice smooth tone. Went to 2 reactivity and only got a chopped signal (almost sounded like an iron rejection) with the best swing speed I could muster. Went on to reactivity setting of 1 and no joy (no tone at all) with any swing speed. Targets will eventually be discovered with reactivity setting of 3 versus a setting 2. And targets will eventually be disovered with a reactivity setting of 2 versus 3, but this will be attributed to being a deeper target not as badly masked as opposed to the former where the target is masked more and not as deep. There is no way to hunt a site with any one set of settings with deus and claim it's clean. With the different freqs, reactivity settings/silencer settings it will take a few hunts for me to be satisfied that all has been gotten that's within the dues' capabilities to detect. And this can be applied to other detectors too. Some moreso than others. Cheers.

ps It's been stated somewhere on a European forum that lowering sensitivity to around 80 with the faster recovery settings 4/5 is very productive in nail/iron laden sites.