Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Sovereign?

Word is that Minelab has few or no parts for the XS family of detectors.

I would really like to try a Sovereign in my area, but it would be rotten to spend good money on a machine and a year later if it needs service to hear, "sorry we don't any parts".

From all I have read the XS-2 is a very nice unit, possibly the best performer of the bunch.

But considering service and parts availability down the line, would buying an Elite be the better choice?

Most older sovereigns like the XS and the XS2 were pretty trouble free if someone hadn't opened them up and tinkered with them. I have been selling Sovereigns since 1996 both new and used and seen 1 new one with a bad switch out of the box and seen one used one that I got off the Internet that someone had tinkered with that had some problem and even Minelab couldn't repair it. Other than that I never had another one I had to send it as all the others that had been tinkered with I was able to put them back to factory spec. These are ones the control boxes where opened up and some tried to readjust the inter controls. I cant say this with some of the other Minelabs, but the XS and the XS2 were built to last.
The GT is the best Sovereign made I feel then comes the older XS and XS2 is my next favorite with the XS2a and the Elite after the XS and XS2, but any of them will work great and some is seems to be a little better for me.
If you can find a used XS or XS2 at a reasonable price would be great if it has been taken care of, but if you worry about repairs then the GT would be the way to go as there should be parts around for a couple of years anyway.

Get the best one you can afford, parts will be around for a while. Or buy two, even three, and the first one that craps out on you, gets used for spare parts.

I'd suspect that at least the Elite will continue to be serviced as long as the GT, as the control board seems the same for the most part with some minor differences and changes in external controls. Same box. Same face plate (with the controls difference). Same battery system.

Far as older electronics go, if an electronic gadget is going to fail it usually will do it within the first year or so of being made, as that's when a borderline component, cold solder joint, or loose wire is going to show it's self. Once it gets past it's "teen" years it should be pretty much trouble free, providing it ain't abused by getting it wet or damp, or letting it bake in the hot sun. I've owned a lot of machines over the years, most of which bought used to save a few bucks, and I can say that I don't ever remember having one fail on me. Never worried too much about warranties. Even when I bought new I have to admit I hardly ever sent my card in. Just didn't worry too much about it, having never been bit by a bad detector. Well, I take that back. Years ago I bought an old 80's era Bounty Hunter (2nd machine, bought used in the 90's), and it ended up going bonkers on me after a few weeks. At $40 for the cost of buying the thing, I guess I got my money out of it, and in fact I did because I dug a ton of clad. :biggrin:

Think of it as buying a new car. Usually in the first year or so is when it'll end up seeing the dealer to fix some bugs. Once it gets past that it's pretty much home free most times. At least that's been my and my families experience with new vehicles.

You hardly ever heard of a Sovereign breaking down. I have heard of older models having a few of the capacitors go bad in them, but that's an easy fix if you know how to solder. Used to be capacitors (not just on a Sov) were made of a insulating material that would break down over time between the layers of the plates. Not sure but I suspect that issue has been corrected in the last 20 years or so maybe.

Fisher Finder,Rick has a good point those older Sovereigns are built like tanks and usually trouble free.I wouldn't have any problems to have a old clean XS with no backup.I have used a lot of these, two important things to look for,try to avoid one with mods and used around salt water.There are probably still a few closet queens out there that would make a great detector. Good Luck Ron

Thanks Critter,

It's true about the one year, same with computers, if they make it through the first year you're good to go.

Thanks Ron,

I feel a lot better now about looking for an older Sovereign.

Many say the early ones were great performers.

I am going to try to fit one into my budget.

Ron from Michigan said:
Fisher Finder,Rick has a good point those older Sovereigns are built like tanks and usually trouble free.I wouldn't have any problems to have a old clean XS with no backup.I have used a lot of these, two important things to look for,try to avoid one with mods and used around salt water.There are probably still a few closet queens out there that would make a great detector. Good Luck Ron

Ron makes a good point about the salt water. make sure and have a look at the toggles and see if there is any corrosion. If so, I would stay away from those as its possible theres corrosion inside the unit as well.
Also there are several places that will make you up a new rechargeable battery if the older stock one isnt good anymore. Alkalines can get expensive if you hunt alot. The Sov usually gets about 15-20hrs on a set of alkaliines.

Thanks Ron, that's good advise.

I nearly bought a unit that a guy used solely for relic hunting.......

I think that was a nice unit, but someone swooped in and bought it.

:(