Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which Tesoro is best at finding Rings??

rluna

Finding a ring is probably the biggest thrill for me. An old coin is right up there but
there just something about finding a beautiful gold ring. Especially if there are
diamonds attached ;D
I presently have a Vaquero and like it a lot but was wondering
if there was a better Tesoro for finding rings. Maybe one of there metered machines??
Randy

Because gold rings can read anywhere from foil up to the silver range, there really isnt any machine that can ID gold rings better than another. Higher frequency machines, like your V, will hit better on gold and on Tesoro machines in general rings will be smooth and repeatable, consistant no mater which way you scan the coil across them. Metered machines will sometimes pick up on the odd shape that pop tops and tabs can have (giving you a slightly different reading depending on how you sweep it) and give you varying ID numbers, but beyond that there is no magic bullet. If you want the gold you gotta dig some trash.

Good luck to you at your house site today!
Scully

The tone and notch setup lets you concentrate on the lower conductive ranges so you can actually focus. The meter on the Cortes is probably the best meter out there for gold range targets but you spend time staring at the meter for everything. With the Golden, its all by ear, which is really less fatigueing on the old brain.

You can focus on just foil, foil and nickel, just nickel, foil nickel tab, just nickel tab, or just tab or some partial nickel, partial tab or...well....you get the picture.

Good luck,

Mike

Hi Scully,
Thanks for responding. Every where I read people are saying the same
thing. "you need to dig a lot of trash to find rings." But occasionally
I'll read something like this and it makes me wonder..........

"Zeb, If you own the DeLeon and like it....you will absolutely LOVE the Cortes. I used the DeLeon for a few years then bought the Cortes. It is a fantastic machine, these two machines will do me for the rest of my days I'm sure.

I especially like the Sum feature of the Cortes, somehow, it knows exactly what's in the ground and displays it accurately about 99% of the time.

I like the Narrow Notch the best, it gets rid of pull tabs, screw tops and pieces of aluminimum, but still picks up rings and nickles. When I switch it to Wide Notch, it eliminates rings and nickles. So I go with the narrow for most of my hunting around old houses or estates."

I'm either hunting someones house that usually doesnt have a ton of
trash in which case I dig everything. Or I'm hunting parks for rings
where I'm digging up a ton of pulltabs. It would be nice if what this
guy is saying is true so that I could dig less pulltabs
:)

The notch feature on the DeLeon and the Cotres virtually eliminates pop tops and pull tabs BUT, there are some gold rings that will also be rejected. Hence the saying: you gotta dig the trash to get the gold. But having notch in some parks, in my opinion, is an absolute necessity.

If you would like to try the Cortes, line up an old house for us and I drive over and you can use mine, to see how you like it. How could I refuse a bribe like that? Hee hee.

Scully

Someone over on the Garrett forum did an experiment with their little Ace 250 and gold rings. Out of 65 gold rings and running in the coin mode + one notch below nickles. They solidly hit 55 of 65 rings. That's 84.6% - pretty good odds for bypassing all that junk stuff.

Anyone who knows the 250 knows that the coins mode notches out tabs and screw caps, just as the notch windows on the Tesoro's do. Ive duplicted these tests and find that there is no difference in the response of my Golden when compared to the Ace. Im sure the same holds for the Cortez and DeLeon.

It is only up to you to decide if you can live with missing that 15% of rings you notch out.

Hey David,
Thats pretty interesting stuff.....Thanks!!
I recently bought a Cortes and I love it.
Randy

I also saw the same thing from Fisher, some years ago, with the same result. From the tabs just above nickles, to the upper foils just below the five cent pieces, you will get the greatest majority of rings. An exception that comes to mind are the 10K class rings. Everyone of them I have seen ring in just like a screwcap-zincer.

Ive always wanted one of the Cortez detectors. My first detector ever was an old Silver Sabre II, and Ive had Sabres, Goldens, Bandidos, etc, ever since, including my current stable:

Vaquero,
Golden uMax
Tiger Shark.
(not to mention my several Garretts)

But I havent ever tried the top of the line Cortez. I suspect if someone would sell me one around the $400 dollar mark, I would cave in and buy it.

Ok David, stop gawking at that dislay... and buy a Cortes...LOL
It is an amazing machine!
Randy

...really intrigues me, as does that analysis graph. But Lori is out of work, so no new toys :cry: