Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which to Buy, Quattro MP or the Xterra 50?

richter0

I'm planning on buying a Minelab detector, but can't decide between the Quattro MP and the Xterra 50. I'm planning on using it mainly on coins etc., but I don't live very far from gold mine country, creeks etc. Would the Xterra do a good job in creeks, if I buy the other coil that's coming out next year, or would the stock coil work good enough for smaller nuggets? Any information would be appreciated. Keep up your great postings, and thanks. Fred

"coin hunting" as well as most general searching. I prefer the lighter weight and balance.

I can tell you that the Quattro is NOT a detector to consider for gold nugget hunting. I doubt that the X-Terra 50 will be the better unit for that, either, but I would probably use it long before a Quattro in nugget land.

You're better off to get an X-Terra 50 for coin hunting and then get a nugget-specific detector if you want to get serious about searching for gold nuggets.

Monte

Hi,

Unlike Monte I have fairly high hopes for the X-Terra 50 for nugget detecting, with the caveat that when I say that I'm comparing it against other general purpose detectors that might be used for gold nugget detecting. Machines like the White's MXT, Troy X5, Tesoro Vaquero and some others.

If you want a machine PRIMARILY for coins, relics, jewelry, etc. but might use it a time or two to look for gold nuggets, then I believe the X-Terra 50 may be a viable candidate for the job.

The problem is it is too early to tell. Field tests need to be performed in real gold fields. Much will depend of the availability of the higher frequency coils, and how well they handle mineralized ground.

Again, I must reiterate that what I am talking about is how well the X-Terra 50 will do for gold nuggets as compared to other general purpose units, not dedicated gold machines.

If you are even halfway serious about gold nugget detecting, then a dedicated gold nugget machine is the way to go. My main two gold getters are my Minelab GP 3500 and Fisher Gold Bug 2. But I have found a couple pounds of gold nuggets with my White's MXT, proving that a machine designed with general use in mind can find gold in the right places. The MXT is the favored machine at Ganes Creek, Alaska because the huge amount of iron junk in the ground combined with moderate ground mineralization favors machines that have good discrimination capability combined with good sensitivity to gold, with lighter weight detectors preferred.

Kind of sounds like I just described the X-Terra 50!

I also have no doubt there are mineralized areas where the X-Terra 50 would fall on its face for nugget detecting, and only a dedicated machine like the GP 3500 will serve.

As far as your your basic question of Quattro vs X-Terra 50 goes, I'd have the X-Terra 50 myself in a heartbeat. The incredibly slow target recovery of the Quattro put me off. It is also less applicable for prospecting than most detectors.

Steve Herschbach

"You're better off to get an X-Terra 50 for coin hunting and then get a nugget-specific detector if you want to get serious about searching for gold nuggets."

Note that I said "get serious" about nugget hunting. All too often, as you well know, people think that just because an area has produced gold they can run to a stream, stick the coil in the water, and strike it rich (or hope to)!

So many places have fine flour gold production, and a running stream isn't always the better site for most people to detect for nuggets anyway.

I took his comment to be that he was mainly interested in coins, and without a doubt the X-Terra 50 will handle that!

I have stated elsewhere, too, that (like you) I am anxious to work with a DD coils and perhaps a smaller coil or an elliptical DD coil operating at the 18.75 kHz frequency to see how well the X-Terra 50 might do on small, thin gold jewelry as well as nuggets.

I agree that is should be compared with similar makes/models in its price range, and so far I prefer it over the MXT for applications other than nuggets.

Stay warm this winter!

Monte

Hi Monte,

I hear what you are saying and was not intending to make it look like you doubted the gold capability of the X-Terra 50. I guess I was just clarifying that from my perspective as a nut-case nugget hunter that I think the X-Terra 50 may well be one of the better all-around use machines for occasional use nugget detecting.

You and I agree totally that serious nugget detecting calls for dedicated nugget hunting units.

In my area gold is always a question with people, and yet many want a machine for general use also. The MXT has easily been the most popular machine in Alaska for just that "coin, relic, jewelry, but with a good shot at gold" detector. However I do think we both also find the MXT to be a bit noisy for general coin hunting.

So I'm very excited by the potential of the X-Terra 50 to offer an alternative that may be smoother as a coin detector and yet still give a person a decent shot at a gold nugget.

I sure wish it were not 5 degrees outside, as I'd like to be the first person to score a gold nugget with an X-Terra 50. If they had got one in my hands just a week earlier I might have been able to do it. Now someone else is likely to beat me to the punch.

I'd like to see more posting regarding the X-Terra 50 versus its real competition - machines that list for $699 give or take a bit. Units like the Tesoro Tejon, Garrett GTP 1350, the new Fisher ID Edge, White's XL/QXT Pro, and maybe the rumored new Prizm. Pushing it up a little to machines like the MXT is reasonable.

But if people keep trying to compare it to $1000 plus units answers will keep coming back that the X-Terra 50 "is not as good as" machines it just was not meant to compete directly with. I think the answer when compared to units in its direct price range is that the competition has lots to worry about. I think I'll start another post on the subject right now!

In closing I have to say I've always looked to your posts as reliable sources of great detecting information. Quite a few reside on my computer hard drive for future reference. In particular, your posts on jewelry detecting and detecting in iron rich locales are real classics. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Try going to a local dealer and waving a 1/5 grain flake under the coil,,,say 1 inch away.....Please let me know if you hear anything,,,,charlie in bama,,,,,,,,,

"I'd like to see more posting regarding the X-Terra 50 versus its real competition - machines that list for $699 give or take a bit. Units like the Tesoro Tejon, Garrett GTP 1350, the new Fisher ID Edge, White's XL/QXT Pro, and maybe the rumored new Prizm. Pushing it up a little to machines like the MXT is reasonable."

This is an excellent suggestion.:thumbup: For someone like me, looking to add a mid-priced detector to their arsenal, it would be very helpful to have someone knowledgeable compare these machines.

HH,
Relic

Hi Charlie,

Don't bother.

The only two machines I know of that I can rely on to hit a 1/5 grain nugget at an inch in real world conditions are the Fisher Gold Bug 2 and White's GMT.

The X-Terra 50 was not designed as a dedicated gold nugget detector and will not compete with dedicated nugget machines. I find a couple pounds a years nugget detecting and so have some experience in that regard.

I have found a lot of gold with the White's MXT, a machine that is designed for coin, jewelry, relic, and yes, gold detecting. The reason the MXT does well on gold is that it operates ar 14 kHz and has an exceptionally high gain and so it is hot on gold for a machine intended as a coin detector.

My Gold Bug 2 will hit smaller gold, and my GP 3500 will do better is severe mineralization. But the MXT is no slouch when it comes to finding gold.

The X-Terra 50 may well also be one of the few machines that is designed primarily for coin detecting that will do well on gold, but that remains to be seen. The real key will be the 18.75 kHz coils, once they arrive. Until then I am merely speculating that the X-Terra 50 will, with its alternate 18.75 kHz frequency, high gain, and ground balance, serve well compared to other coin detectors for a secondary use as a nugget detector.

But even then I do not expect it to hit gold weighing under a grain under normal field conditions. If that is the performance you are looking for get a dedicated nugget detector. My personal favorite for sniping sub-grain gold is the Fisher Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil.

See my post at http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,228791 for more on the X-Terra 50 and gold.

Steve Herschbach