Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which tones for coins?

Mountain Mike

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and just bought a Deus to go with my Etrac. I am just getting used to the Deus and can't hear what it is telling me yet. I primarily hunt coins and was wondering if there is a set of tones that work better for coins. As long as I have to learn the tones I might as well learn the right ones. Since I am in sync with the etrac is there a set of tones that would make more sense? 4-5-full?

I came to the Deus speaking Minelab as a first language as well , hoping to find a fluent second language but found it (the Deus)to be much too digital in comparison.
It has trash tone and a round sound that you can pick up on but nothing anywhere as descriptive as the etrac. I think you get more blending of tones in 3,4,or 5 tone than full and the custom break points make those setting very powerful.
The biggest mistake is trying to make the Deus operate like an etrac because it just operates differently.
For general U.S. coin hunting in public areas I usually use full tones until the modern trash just gets prohibitive and then go to a Minelab.

Thanks guys I was kinda thinking the same thing. The full tone option seems to have the most variation and that's more what I am used to. Or 5 tone with the sounds adjusted to give me the highest tones in the coin ranges. I'm sure I will have a lot more questions.

You can adjust the target tones to more closely match the tones of the Etrac
which should help with the learning curve somewhat. I did this coming from the sweet
tones of a Tesoro so my ears didn't have to learn completely new tones...
The targets tone will also be more descriptive at the lowest Reactive as they start
getting clipped at higher Reactive settings... Reactive 1 is still faster than most
any other detector out there.... and I only increase it when the trash forces me to.
At 8k the zincolns hit around 80 and coppers at around 85 so all of your coins will hit
above that and I adjusted this tone to be very similar to my old machine...
The Silencer I found to impact the tone quality as well.. but off isn't necessarily the
best setting either..

I started.out with 3 tones and adjusted the pitch on the high tone. But for the last month or so I've been using full tones thanks to some post by TNSS who I think is squirrel on this site but not sure. Full tones rock. I use 0/disc and 12 and 18khz. And I am itching for the update surely it's.close

Its true that a copper lincoln will in 8K usually hit 84 to 85 but in my area a Wheat jumps around a bit. It will drop down to 81 and then back up to 86.

I am sure that you see the Etrac react differently to Wheats compared to a normal copper lincoln.

If you can learn full tones I believe its the better choice.

Jeff in Pa said:
Its true that a copper lincoln will in 8K usually hit 84 to 85 but in my area a Wheat jumps around a bit. It will drop down to 81 and then back up to 86.

I am sure that you see the Etrac react differently to Wheats compared to a normal copper lincoln.

If you can learn full tones I believe its the better choice.

In my soil a wheat hits at 12-41 and a copper at 12-43-44 on the E so I get what you are saying.